Operator Message Dock

whbcstreaming

Hi everyone,
This may already have been discussed and I just couldn't dig it out, but I want to have a dock in my OBS window that can display messages for the operator running the stream. We use volunteers to run our worship stream and sometimes the service has something in it that I need the operators to adjust for. Right now I have a sheet of paper and I hope they read it at the right time, but it would be really nice if I could pop up a message when a scene starts to remind them to do something. I thought about a custom URL dock and point it to a localhost website that I can run on the host and put messages there, but that would not change when the scene changes. Any ideas? Thanks! Pat

You may find some useful bits at https://github.com/OldBaldGeek/OBS-old-bald-scripts that you could harvest to meet your needs.

In particular, the cabrinidock2.* files implement a browser dock (we dock it between the mixer controls and the start/stop/settings buttons). It uses Websocket to communicate with OBS. In particular, it handles the CurrentProgramSceneChanged event. We use that event to highlight which camera is in use on the scene, but you could easily change it to show a message in the dock.

We use OBS in Studio mode, in order to avoid having the movement of our PTZ cameras visible on the stream. The script Camera-buddy.lua does a bunch of camera-related stuff, but it also shows a text message on the preview screen in some cases. If you use Studio mode, something like that could be used to tell your operators what you want them to do on the upcoming scene.