Question / Help Open Broadcaster Software: Increase Screen Region.

Sergio92

Hello. I am a medical student. I think I can use OBS for microscopy purposes. But I actually need some help to get acquainted with this program.

I have a camera. I use a microscope as an objective. I linked the camera to my macintosh. I downloaded an open source utility software (Sofortbild) to see the live view on my macintosh screen.

The point is that the live view display is small and I'd rather increase it's dimensions to have a much clearer and detailed image of what I'm studying (animal tissues).

So I was thinking that maybe I could use OBS to increase a screen region and see it on another monitor and take notes with the principal one. This would help me not to spend a fortune in some tethering camera control software released by Nikon.

Is it possible to arrange something of this nature with OBS ? I know I could just try by myself but before downloading this software I need to purchase mountain lion to make it work. So, before spending further money in this thing I'm doing, I need to know if OBS can actually be used for this kind of operation, that has nothing to do with game broadcasting.

Narcogen

OBS can't produce a more detailed image than the one you give it. Since you needed a third party driver, it's unlikely that the microscope vendor provided a standard driver, which means most likely OBS would need to use SyphonInject, window capture or display capture modes to see it, which means all you're going to do at most is blow up the window size. You'll get a larger blurry image instead of a small one. OBS depends on camera vendors providing standard drivers to access video sources like cameras.

OSX Mountain lion is almost four years old at this point. Any Mac running 10.6.8 or newer should have access to it in the App Store, but newer versions are free and probably preferable unless you're running on hardware that doesn't support it. You probably want at least 10.9 Mavericks assuming your hardware is not older than 2008.