Question / Help Only one screen found when using VNC

Lumpiasty

Hi
I was trying to set up something like on this picture:
1530574489857.png

I want to control OBS running on PC from Laptop. Second screen is not an option. I want to have seperate mouse and keyboard for Screen 1 and VNC. VNC Server is set up like this (link) (PC is running Arch Linux with LightDM and XFCE with TigerVNC starting new X session for every connection).
Problem is that when I start OBS in VNC, it can see that VNC screen but not Screen 1. Any ideas why and how can fix it? Thanks in advance

Narcogen

Probably you'd have to configure TigerVNC to connect to the existing session (the one running Screen 1) and not a new X session.

Lumpiasty

The problem is that I don' t want to do that. I want sperate mouse and keyboard (and screen) to control OBS, and I don't want to show OBS on Screen 1

Narcogen

I don't think OBS will be allowed to access an X window session separate from the one it launched in. Maybe if it launched in a second virtual screen that was part of session 1?

Lumpiasty

But how to do it? I want to have seperate keyboard and mouse for screen 2, When someone is doing something (no matter what) on Screen 1, I want to control OBS (and do other things) in Screen 2 (VNC), without showing it in Screen 1. That's what I want to achieve, but I dont know how. OBS with capturing card on laptop is not option because it's just too old (core2duo p9300 with some Intel GMA) and OBS dont work on it.

Narcogen

You're trying to prevent Session 1 from controlling OBS while allowing OBS running in Session 2 to capture the display of Session 1. I don't think that's possible. The same restriction that allows Session 2 to have separate mouse/keyboard control prevents OBS from seeing the other session... I think. Perhaps someone with deeper understanding can comment. But as far as I can see, OBS is not going to be allowed by the system to capture a separate X Windows session from the one it launches in-- those other sessions aren't just virtual displays run by the same hardware, it's an entirely separate user space-- even if both sessions are logged in as the same user. And if you attach to the same session, then they'll share input.

Lumpiasty

I had little idea:
1530633654300.jpeg

X Server field. But i don't have idea what to enter here, because localhost nor 127.0.0.1 isn't working. Maybe someone smarter than me will know?

Lumpiasty

No, i havent seen that, but that doesn't solve my problem.
But I noticed something else: when I try to enter :0 in Screen 1, i get image of screen 1 and when I enter :1 i get no image, but on VNC when I enter :0 i get no image and when I enter :1 I get image of VNC.
EDIT: I noticed also that when I type :0 in VNC I get No protocol specified in Terminal, but on other screen that don't extist like :3 i dont get that.

Last edited: