Question / Help "On Air" Light

Gary Kloncz

I'm new to broadcasting and am now using OBS to stream to Facebook live. I've got that down cold.

I now want to have a way to tell people when we are ready to record and are live. I'm looking for on-air lights controllable via PC software (USB), but I'm not finding much that can tell me that this can be done manually. I've found some that work with a series of broadcast suites, but not OBS. The light doesn't need to be automatic with the record functions of the broadcasting software, but something I can control manually would be great.

Thanks for any response in advance!

Gary Kloncz

I saw this but the question on this thread is to show which camera is hot. I simply want to show when recording is live, like outside a radio studio.

It could work the same way, you are just looking for a little differnt data.
I really don't want to self promote but my solution supports watching the stream status.

GAKloncz

While this is not automatic, it is controllable via software and is USB. https://www.punchlight.com/recording_lamp_usb

It uses a fairly vulnerable version of Java (1.6), but it is simple and easy.

I cannot, however, find a way to automatically turn the light on or off when recording or not. I have an email into the company. I don't hold much hope for a good answer. I've been searching on and off for an answer to this for a couple of months and have made no traction.