Bug Report Offline Video Recording

immjme

Hello guys,

I need some advice on offline video recording. I don't need to live stream the videos.

I hope to create content with iPhone XS Max via USB cable connected to OSB and store directly the data into macOS Catalina version 10.15.4 late 2013. I am using an external hard drive to store the footage, planning on editing the footage with Final Cut Pro X.

My current settings:

2840 x 2160
30 fps
Bitrate :6000kbps
Keyframe interval: every 2 frames per second

At the moment, my iMac CPU is running at 40%, therefore, it's slowing down the video and the quality is terrible.

Could you help me with a good set up for it, please?

Thank you.

Mauro

immjme

Any reason you don't just use QuickTime player for this?

Hey Narcogen,

That's a good point but I am having some issues with the QuickTime player because the iPhone XS Max that I have does not support landscape mode. It's a pain in the ass!

1. I am interested in learning more about OBS and trying to learn more about all the possibilities that it has to offer. By doing that I have more tools under my hat.

2. I will try to find a fix for the iPhone Max XS Max horizontal issue with QuickTime players as well.

Are you suggesting that filming with the resolutions above is not possible with OBS?

Thanks for your helo.

Mauro

Narcogen

OBS performs worse on MacOS than under Windows on the same hardware, and no currently existing Mac contains the best available dedicated hardware encoders for OBS to use.

If you're getting CPU overload you can try using the Apple VT Hardware Encoder in advanced encoder settings, but some users report quality/stability problems with this as well.

Using QuickTime player would be the best way of using your Mac's hardware encoder capabilities to get the best possible quality with the lowest possible system load.

If your phone has the space, honestly the best option might be to record locally on the phone and then transfer to your Mac for later editing.

immjme

OBS performs worse on MacOS than under Windows on the same hardware, and no currently existing Mac contains the best available dedicated hardware encoders for OBS to use.

If you're getting CPU overload you can try using the Apple VT Hardware Encoder in advanced encoder settings, but some users report quality/stability problems with this as well.

Using QuickTime player would be the best way of using your Mac's hardware encoder capabilities to get the best possible quality with the lowest possible system load.

If your phone has the space, honestly the best option might be to record locally on the phone and then transfer to your Mac for later editing.

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback.

I will follow your advice.

I wish you a great evening.

Mauro