Question / Help OBS1 vs MP volume

Hi
There is a quite a big difference in volume of receording (and stream also) between OBS1 and MP, MP is much louder. Please take a look at attached FLV files. Both were recorded on the same volume settings in system. Both OBS programs were on out of the box volume settings so sliders were maxed. What is the cause of this? Im having problem with my mic being barely hearable in obs1 and it is almost completely lost in MP recording. Also sometimes sound from MP recording or stream (never heard it in obs1) sounds distorted like when you set the volume to high and speakers cant make it - dont have a material currently showing this.
Darkest Dungeon samples: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4C72GXa--vgVUhGSG9ORzJ5NDA/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

Attachments

• mp.txt
    15.4 KB · Views: 19
  • obs1.log
    14.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

jdm12983

Well, looking at the logs the setting are the same for the audio area. So doesn't seem to be anything wrong there.

One thing to look at for OBS MP; On the main recording screen for OBS MP, click the cog next to the word "Mixer" and make sure those are all/any "Volume (%)" boxes are all set to 100. If they are, maybe try changing them to something like 95 to make it slightly quieter.

Now, I'm not sure why it's a problem if it's slightly louder. However if you are using any type of video editor you should be able to adjust the volume of the video itself while editing/before saving/exporting to the final version.

Last edited:
Yes the volume % is set to 100. My main concern is this distortion of MP audio that happens sometimes and also viewers telling me that sound is too loud when i stream with MP. Im kind of clueless here, maybe I should test on another soundcard, but onboard realtek doesnt look promising

jdm12983

OK, if it's all 100% then try setting the mixer options for "Volume (%)" down, say 5 at a time. See how that goes. (basically it starts at 100 - try at 95, etc.).

DevonCM

I'm pretty sure that the audio output is a sum of the levels from all devices, so if they combine to more than peak gain, it'll clip and you'll get distortion. If the level you see on any of the meters is hitting the max, or very close, you should turn it down.
This is why it's called a mixer, because you're supposed to take the various channels(sources/devices) and mix them together to create an optimal output. Unfortunately, OBS Studio doesn't show a main out level/meter... though that would be an especially desirable feature.

As far as your mic being too low... there are plenty of factors that could be contributing to a low input volume, such as your preamp, mixer, interface, etc.
If you're sending in the best signal you can and you still need it louder, click the cogwheel next to the mic's input device in the mixer, and add the Gain filter. Play around with it until you see the meter hitting in the range you're looking for, again not too close to peak.

Thank you both for suggestions. Will keep out level in mind when i run in this distortion again. I think I have found something I can call sweetspot where desktop audio and mic levels sound to be about equal. Its 20% (-14dB) for desktop and +10dB gain filter for mic. Im just surprised that it needed such big corrections, I was thinking thats its impossible to have to adjust it so far and was looking for some kind of hardware fault or error. But on the other hand it can be my crappy analog 3,5mm jack mic, the need of enabling acoustic echo cancelation, poor amlifier on soundcard or everything combined. Thanks again :D

DevonCM

Yeah if you're using a bad mic directly into your PC's input jack you're going to get bad results. Especially if you're not using headphones and need echo cancellation. You simply shouldn't be streaming with a setup like that.

You should at least use a USB mic, and always headphones.