OBS Won't Record Video from Cyberlink PowerDVD 17

mdmarmd

I can record audio/video from movies played on programs such as Leawoo Player, Pot Video Player and Kodi. But if I try to record a movie played on Cyberlink PowerDVD, I only get audio with a black screen. Is there any adjustment that I can make in OBS to correct this?
Thanks,
Doug

koala

In case you're trying to record a copy protected DVD: it's probably the DRM that protects the video content. OBS Studio is no tool to circumvent copy protection.

mdmarmd

In case you're trying to record a copy protected DVD: it's probably the DRM that protects the video content. OBS Studio is no tool to circumvent copy protection.
But OBS seems to have no difficulty recording video when played through other software players. It is only with PowerDVD that this occurs.

dylanbeattie

There's an operating system "feature" that disables screen capture for video apps designed to play copy-protected video - PowerDVD, iTunes, some streaming platforms like Netflix and Disney+. It's not specific to OBS - other screen capture apps like Camtasia or NDI Scan Converter won't be able to record video from these apps, either.

koala

Try this to identify if it is DRM that is blocking OBS from recording:
Use display capture instead of window capture to capture the whole desktop. Don't maximize PowerDVD. Play your video. If you see PowerDVD in the preview of OBS but with a black place where the video actually plays, then it's DRM. No capture app is able to grab this content. Make a screenshot with the Printscreen button. You will see the same censorship on that screenshot.