OBS with two USB3HDCAP devices

liquid64

Hello, I have purchased two USB3HDCAP devices, in hopes of starting some live streaming with our house of worship. One USB3HDCAP is for the HDMI from a camera (720p), and the other is from a PC that drives all of our lyrics and verses (normally run to a projector). Using OBS, the setup seems to be working OK, and we already have one service successfully streamed last Sunday. The issue I am having is that occasionally, when starting OBS, the capture from VGA fails to start. Closing OBS and reopening a few times will eventually "do the trick". The HDMI capture device always starts without any issue, and I'm only having trouble with the VGA capture. I've scanned over OBS's logs, and nothing is sticking out to me. Could this be an issue with running two USB3HDCAP devices?

Here's a log where it didn't start: https://obsproject.com/logs/fuGvjIzTJfoM0zeA
And a log where it did start: https://obsproject.com/logs/WFySdUQ3uy0pX61j

The laptop I'm using is severely underpowered, but it was able to sustain 30fps at 720p for an hour or so without any dropped frames, so I plan to keep using it for the time being.

Thanks for your time.

norihiro

Hi,
It might be helpful for someone to answer if you describe details how your VGA source behaves on OBS; for example showing black, nothing appears, etc.
How about opening the property when the source failed? I think DShow source has a drop-down box on its property that shows available sources.

liquid64

Sure, and thanks for replying. When I go into properties for the VGA source, it shows a solid grey preview area.
screenshot#1.png

If I click "Configure Video", the screen looks like so...
screenshot#2.png

As you can see, it's receiving signal, but it just isn't showing in OBS. Like I mentioned in the OP, closing OBS and reopening usually will do the trick. I've even purchased one of those cheap VGA to HDMI adapters, thinking it had something to do with using VGA, but it basically behaved the same way.

By the way, I'm following your work on the VNC source plugin. I'm really excited to try that out for myself (Windows platform, obviously). I've considered that as a workaround for needing to use a 2nd USB3HDCAP device.

norihiro

Your SIGNAL STATUS says 60fps but your properties setting is 30fps. I'd like to recommend to have the same value. The frame rate will be converted after the data goes out from the plugin.
I found someone reported similar issue using OBS and USB3HDCAP. Her/his workaround is to connect USB after the video signal becomes active.

Regarding VNC source, I'm struggling with compile-errors to build on Windows. Before I developed it, I was using vnc-viewer + window-capture.