Question / Help OBS + Voicemeeter Banana + Noise reduction

Korg

Hello,

ive setup myself OBS + Voicemeeter Banana, but my microphone is having white noise, quite alot. So i went to OBS to set Noise gate VST filter (reafir VST), but it is not working as i assume bcoz its in OBS (VoiceMeeter -> OBS (noise gate in OBS)) and its last in line to process before going to stream, and it is supposed to be before VoiceMeeter (Noise Gate -> Voicemeeter -> OBS).
So i found this solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r78-AyEaSds (around 19:25 explained) its called Carla VST host.

So after final setup its: Carla (noise gate) -> VoiceMeeter -> OBS = no more white noise in my stream. But Carla is quite problematic (i cant run it loaded at system start, and its quite glitchy), and its one extra VST host to be running in my system.

So here is my question, is there a way to use VoiceMeeter Banana + OBS and be able to use Noise Gate VST filter set in OBS?
Or maybe u know some other VST host software which is more friendly and less CPU consuming?

Zidakuh

Personally I run Image-Line Minihost on my system, before upgrading to a DBX 286 s.
It used to be using about 2-3% CPU at the most. However I used a different noise reduction filter as well.

TheRustyTigger

Have to concur with Zidakuh. I use minihost modular myself with 3 plugins running to voicemeeter. Always tweaking them as environment changes between summer/winter and the fans, heat and AC but pic is what I'm running now with my blue yeti. Gets rid of the background noise, doesn't come on during keystrokes and the compressor keeps any mumbling up and screaming down. Cpu usage fairly low, never really seen it go above 3% as well.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    529.8 KB · Views: 1,893

DEDRICK

You should avoid using ReaFIR, it is more of a last resort plugin if the noise around you is so loud that even an expander can't help you. It adds nasty phasing artifacts that make you sound like you are underwater.

In most cases you should only need to use an Expander for noise reduction. Expanders gain reduce a signal below the threshold, they make quiet sounds quieter. They are like a compressor but work the other direction, compressors make loud sounds quieter.

With proper mic position, gain and environment, an expander can eliminate nearly all noise, even keyboards.

If your mic is not within 1 foot of your mouth, and not off the table using an arm or stand...don't bother with an expander, your voice will be so quiet that the noise will almost be as loud.

The 2 most important VSTs you should have in your chain are a Compressor(1st) then an Expander(2nd), to control the dynamics of your signal.

Set your gain so your peaks are hitting between -18 and -10, compress to tighten it up then boost the level so you average around -24dB RMS and peak around -6. After than you can EQ then expand to gain reduce the noise floor to nothing, toss a limiter on at -3dB to give some headroom for your desktop audio and mic to play together.

Last edited: