Resource icon

OBS Virtualcam 2.0.5

Timboxyz

Will there be a Mac friendly plugin for the OBS VirtualCam?
I'd love to be able to stream to Zoom but it appears it's not an option atm.

Thank you in advance for your reply.
You can use the NDI plugin on OSX with the NDI Virtual Input to achieve the same result. I don't know how the performance compares but it works.

e1miran

Hello,

Are there any plans to create similar plugin for Mac users?
This is exactly what I need and it would be a life saver if there was a plugin available for MacOS based users.
@Jo909!
The plugin below was released a couple of days ago. It works for me.

cherubteacher

I can't seem to get anything other than a black or grey screen even though the virtual cam is detected in tools and I've tried it with all resolutions etc. It can be detected by zoom as well but just won't show on screen. I've uninstalled and reinstalled obs studio and the virtual cam on two laptops now without success (one has windows 10 and the other has windows 7) so I'm not sure what else to do.

Timboxyz

The only changes in this version is that it has been compiled against the latest OBS Studio version, and an updated installer is provided.
[...]
This will not uninstall the previous version, but it will overwrite the files.
Having installed the new version successfully, with only one virtual camera selected as suggested whereas on the old version I had all 4, I notice that whilst in OBS I only have the one VirtualCam available for output, in applications where I can select the input I am still offered all 4.

Having a poke around I notice that as well as "obs-virtualsource.dll" being located in the location specified by the old version

"C:\Program Files\obs-studio\bin\64bit\...."
which is referenced 4 times in the registry in successive entries

The file (along with the .pdb) also appears in:-

"C:\Program Files\obs-studio\data\obs-plugins\obs-virtualoutput\...."

with several entries, but in different parts of the registry.
I am therefore wondering if the new version has left behind cruft of the old version that ought to be cleaned out?

Timboxyz

sjdacruz

Is there documentation or a guide about how the set number of buffered frames impacts performance and resource usage on OBS? I'm not sure if there's a difference between 1-3 buffered frames.. setting it to 0 or maxing it at 30....
Please advise,
Thanks,
Scott

cognitionis

Thanks in advance for your help.
I have tried multiple attempts at dowloading and reinstalling both OBS 25.0.8 and OBS Virtualcam 2.0.5. Keep getting "Failed- Download error". Also tried temporarily turning off both virus scan and firewall during downloads/reinstalls.
Running Windows 10 on a Lenovo IdeaPad Y700.
FYI... I did get Virtualcam/OBS to work on an older computer (Windows 7!), so I'm sure I'll eventually get it to work on this Windows 10 system. :)
Thank you.
cognitionis

felenskool

Hello @Fenrir
Thanks for all the community support.

I’ve been searching for a potential fix for the blurry output in VirtualCam but haven’t been able to find anything.
Platforms tested with: Webex , Teams

OBS version: 25.0.8
VirtualCam version: 2.0.5

video output settings: 1920x1080@30fps

The problem is that the picture is extremely pixelated and compressed. Text on screen is unreadable. This isn’t an issue when the desktop is being shared in Webex/Teams.

Any suggestions?

asdadawd

I Did all of the step above but my video capture card looks like this ,

1589629300059.png

e1miran

Hello @Fenrir
Thanks for all the community support.

I’ve been searching for a potential fix for the blurry output in VirtualCam but haven’t been able to find anything.
Platforms tested with: Webex , Teams

OBS version: 25.0.8
VirtualCam version: 2.0.5

video output settings: 1920x1080@30fps

The problem is that the picture is extremely pixelated and compressed. Text on screen is unreadable. This isn’t an issue when the desktop is being shared in Webex/Teams.

Any suggestions?
Is the blurriness visible in Webex & Teams on your side or only on the receiving end? If the Virtual Cam image is clear and crisp for you but not the viewing parties, then this is not a Virtual Camera issue. It would be that these apps are expecting camera feeds and processing them as cameras, where crispness in text would not be expected. They will super compress these since they can be displaying many camera images at one time within the viewer's client application. Desktop shares are processed differently and not as compressed as these are expected to possibley be documents and contain text.

felenskool

Is the blurriness visible in Webex & Teams on your side or only on the receiving end? If the Virtual Cam image is clear and crisp for you but not the viewing parties, then this is not a Virtual Camera issue. It would be that these apps are expecting camera feeds and processing them as cameras, where crispness in text would not be expected. They will super compress these since they can be displaying many camera images at one time within the viewer's client application. Desktop shares are processed differently and not as compressed as these are expected to possibley be documents and contain text.

Thanks for the response.

The blur is on the receiving end too. I had people on the Webex/Teams/Zoom tell me they can't read the text on my screen. So I ended up just exiting OBS and sharing my desktop natively through Webex/Teams without a problem.

Here's how it looks to them via OBS VirtualCam 2.0.5 while I was broadcasting in Teams:

obsblur.png

Here's the output from webcamtests.com :

1589730355590.png

My OBS video settings:

1589730780455.png

Again, sharing the desktop is crystal clear in the native applications. It's with the Virtual Webcam that everything turns blurry and pixellated. I've read other people having this problem but no fix has been suggested.

Not sure how to troubleshoot from here.

Attachments

• 1589730398254.png
    1589730398254.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 44

e1miran

Thanks for the response.

The blur is on the receiving end too.
To clarify, my question was if it was blurry on your end (your own preview), not the receiving end.

If the video preview of your own image within webex/teams is clear but not on the receiving end, that means it's the videoconference app that is compressing cameras differently than screenshares. That is not a Virtual Webcam issue. It's just how the videoconference apps work, no way around it. I found the same to be true with Zoom. I'm planning a broadcast with Zoom using OBS to make a composite scene. I've resorted to doing a screenshare for my purposes instead of the virtual cam.

felenskool

To clarify, my question was if it was blurry on your end (your own preview), not the receiving end.

If the video preview of your own image within webex/teams is clear but not on the receiving end, that means it's the videoconference app that is compressing cameras differently than screenshares. That is not a Virtual Webcam issue. It's just how the videoconference apps work, no way around it. I found the same to be true with Zoom. I'm planning a broadcast with Zoom using OBS to make a composite scene. I've resorted to doing a screenshare for my purposes instead of the virtual cam.

Yes I understood the question. It's blurry both in my preview and the other participants in the meeting who view my feed.

So if what you're saying is true about video conference apps, doesn't that mean the VirtualCam plugin is rendered useless?

I'm in the same boat as you with screenshare instead of VirtualCam. I wish it weren't the case though.

felenskool

I should also add that I tested with another software, vMix, and the feed was pretty clear and all text was readable in Webex/Teams/Zoom.

That makes me think the OBS software might have issues instead of the Video Conf apps causing this.

I wish the developers would comment.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Screen capture in conferencing applications and webcam video are typically two completely different types of data transfer. Desktop sharing over a webcam feed is likely to have quality issues if the webcam feed can't keep up with the sending rate to maintain the full resolution/fps, so this unfortunately sounds pretty normal.