OBS VirtualCam produces infinite windows when recoding WebEx window

NickD

Trying to use the OBS VirtualCam when using WebEx. I use two monitors, one for WebEx and the other for OBS. Works fine, but cannot find a way to record the WebEx screen without getting the infinite windows inside windows. The only way I am able to capture wth WebEx session is to use my real camera for WebEx and then capture the screen or monitor with OBS. But then I lose the ability to use the green screen effects in the live meeting.

Is it possible to record the WebEx screen while using OBS VirtualCam?

NickD

After playing around with this, I found that I was able to record the Webex screen without getting the infinite frames by creating another instance of OBS. So basically, use the first instance of OBS to capture the Webex screen and record that screen. I keep that window on the second monitor. And use the second instance of OBS on the primary monitor to start the VirtualCam and apply the green screen effects with different backgrounds for Webex.

I couldn't find any other way to record a Webex virtual meeting without getting those windows within windows effects. It seems to be working when just testing it on my own, but I haven't actually tried this yet on a real meeting, so I'm not sure if it will capture everyone's audio as well.

Please let me know if this makes sense or if there is a better way of doing this.

Thanks

SecTalk20

After playing around with this, I found that I was able to record the Webex screen without getting the infinite frames by creating another instance of OBS. So basically, use the first instance of OBS to capture the Webex screen and record that screen. I keep that window on the second monitor. And use the second instance of OBS on the primary monitor to start the VirtualCam and apply the green screen effects with different backgrounds for Webex.

I couldn't find any other way to record a Webex virtual meeting without getting those windows within windows effects. It seems to be working when just testing it on my own, but I haven't actually tried this yet on a real meeting, so I'm not sure if it will capture everyone's audio as well.

Please let me know if this makes sense or if there is a better way of doing this.

Thanks

Im not sure if you can go in and look at the post I made just a little bit ago, but I think I’m having the same issue you were but with zoom... Would you mind giving it a look? I have a screenshot on the thread that seems to be the same thing you were experiencing.
If so, I will definitely have to give this a shot!
Thanks

NickD

I took a look at your post and although you are getting the same window within windows, I'm not sure if it's from the same setup. I'm just trying to record the zoom window. But I want to be able to also use the OBS virtual cam so I can have different backgrounds on the call. So I get the window within a window when I do both screen capture and virtual cam. If this becomes too much effort for what its worth, i may just record the sessions with zooms record feature instead. As for your situation, I'm only seeing one capture device in your setup, so I don't understand why you are getting the multi windows. But it may work for you as well. Good luck...

NickD

I forgot to mention how I did this. Here's a step by step
  1. Launch zoom, webex, or whatever software you are going to use for the meeting. Start a meeting but don't turn on the video yet
  2. Launch OBS and add a screen capture for meeting software. Make sure that Virtual Cam is OFF in OBS. You can start recording this screen if you want. Minimize this instance or move it to another monitor
  3. Right click OBS in the task bar and select Open OBS. OBS will ask if you want to launch another instance. Select yes.
  4. On this second instance, remove the screen capture and add you camera. You can also add filters, backgrounds, etc. Start OBS virtual cam.
  5. Go back to zoom and start the video - select the obs camera. Maximize the window and you're ready for the meeting.
Hope this helps...

Last edited:

SecTalk20

It worked!!! Thank you. Glad I found your post on here. I spent about an hour and a half the other day attempting to figure it out, and couldn't find anything on the forums, so thank you for posting!

SecTalk20

I forgot to mention how I did this. Here's a step by step
  1. Launch zoom, webex, or whatever software you are going to use for the meeting. Start a meeting but don't turn on the video yet
  2. Launch OBS and add a screen capture for meeting software. Make sure that Virtual Cam is OFF in OBS. You can start recording this screen if you want. Minimize this instance or move it to another monitor
  3. Right click OBS in the task bar and select Open OBS. OBS will ask if you want to launch another instance. Select yes.
  4. On this second instance, remove the screen capture and add you camera. You can also add filters, backgrounds, etc. Start OBS virtual cam.
  5. Go back to zoom and start the video - select the obs camera. Maximize the window and you're ready for the meeting.
Hope this helps...

So it worked for about an hour and started doing the same thing oddly... not sure on this one. Going to retrace my steps ans dee what happened.

NickD

It's important to make sure which instance of OBS started the Virtual Cam. If you pick the one with the screen capture, then it will do the window within window again. The virtual cam has to be started from the OBS instance the has your camera.