OBS studio recorded playback audio, lower than monitoring/mic vol

Whiskerking

Hello I'm having an issue with live streaming and recording, where the playback audio or audio output of the stream/recording is very low in comparison to other streamers. Despite mic and desktop levels being in the red while recording, and monitoring sounds fine. But when I listen to recordings of the stream the Audio is very low which concerns me because I can't increase the gain any higher it's already in the red.

I'm not sure what's going on.. Twitch automatically uploads the videos so I can't effectively fix the Audio before posting.

I've checked the volume with other streamers videos they don't seem to have the issue.

It's not a matter of the microphone being to low. The playback volume seems extremely low post recording. I've checked both posted videos and archived videos not posted. Both have ultra low audio playback unrelated to mic levels.

Whiskerking

blob:https://m.twitch.tv/75294fb1-3ec3-46ab-85f7-840da485e0ad
Not sure what a screen shot would do to help. The mic levels are in the red yellow line.

I've compared the audio on multiple devices and with other streamers, and against YouTube videos. Both with my headphones, speakers, cellphone, tablet and laptop speakers and desktop speakers.. All the videos seem excessively low compared to others and YouTube.

Whiskerking

Give me a minute I'll post the audio settings. I meant to say I'm not sure what a screen shot of the mic levels would do because I skimmed over the message and didn't register the part about settings.

Whiskerking

So again It's not a mic issue this is only happening in OBS studio post audio levels being in the red. I've tried this both with filters and without filters. I've tried both increasing the gain with filters and in windows. Again Everything redlined it should be fine. Audio is still much much quieter than anyone else videos. When being listened to. Is there a POST mic function I'm missing here for recording? Such as a recording audio level I'm missing that has nothing to do with the mic and or PC volume/ levels? Some kind of Recording level? I understand that many youtube videos go through post-production, and are remixed. But I'm not hearing the same issue from other streamers.

Whiskerking

With some googling, I may have found a fix. Hopefully, it works. Other posters were suggesting this has been going on for over 4 years.. so maybe 5 or more years by now. I'll update to see if it works.

Hi @XANA @InTheSpaghetti @CHAPS and @Twistedsaint. Don't know if this is still an issue, but I was experiencing the same problem and found a fix while troubleshooting it. Turns out every time OBS is opened, Windows gives it a default audio setting of like 11. You can do a couple of things to work around this: 1.) select a different program (WMP) that will hijack control of the audio source in Windows; or 2.) adjust the OBS program master volume in the Windows audio mixer in the Taskbar by the clock on the Desktop. Hope this helps!

Original post https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/obs-studio-playback-audio-too-quiet.43162/

Whiskerking

Nope that did not fix the problem. Audio is still staggeringly low. Post Recording volume is much lower than other comparable videos on different platforms. I think it's an issue with twitch itself. That of post-processing is going on on most youtube videos. I still am confused as to why other streamers don't seem to have this issue. I was just watching pokimane live for comparison, and she too has the same issue, as with some others. But not everyone. I'm not sure if it's a post-processing thing. How others have fixed this issue with live recording.. Who knows.

Alvmes

Hey man. I[m having the same issue... did you manage to solve it?. Also, I discovered that if you disable monitoring, the audio recording works fine. Apparently, for some reason, monitoring affects recording volume. Let me know.

Yamakuzure

Interesting. I had this quite suddenly while recording Mass Effect 2 videos. Everything was fine until ME2 crashed. I killed the process with task manager and restarted ME2, with OBS Studio still running (not recording).
All videos since then peak at -30 LUFS and I have a really hard time raising all clips in shotcut while editing, so that the overall sound experience is still half-way consistent.

Yesterday I recorded a few clips, and the issue is still there, although it was a freshly booted Windows session. I never had this before and the issue isn't fixing itself, so I'd appreciate a pointer in the right direction.
I will try the monitoring and windows sound settings hints.