Question / Help OBS Studio Media Source not working

FayeSelene

Hallo i'm setting up a live stream with my ip camera.
I'm using OBS Studio 64 bit.

I have a rtsp url that goes like. rtsp://username@ipaddres:port/11.h264

This is working fine with vlc.

I also tried to use the VLC videosource but this is really laggy.

I read online that I need to use the media source.

But when I put the same url I use for VLC and the VLC videosource it doesn't work. No sound and no video.
And what about the input format should I leave this blank or what?

Do I need to alter settings?

I hope someone can help me out.

FayeSelene

I've alreay read every forum thread about this I can find but doesn't seem to solve it.
Also googled a lot but nothing comes out.

Tried the vlc source again today but still really laggy.

The thing that works fine is opening vlc on my pc and use the window capture device.

But than I need to always have vlc open on my pc and the sound goes over desktop sound so no separate sound for the video. So I can't stream and do stuff on my pc at the same time.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
The thing that works fine is opening vlc on my pc and use the window capture device.

But than I need to always have vlc open on my pc and the sound goes over desktop sound so no separate sound for the video. So I can't stream and do stuff on my pc at the same time.
You could change VLC's output audio device to something that is not output to your desktop and use that in OBS Studio. If you do not currently have an extra sound device, you could use Virtual Audio Cables or Voicemeeter.

I'm not familiar with getting RTSP working, so I can't give advice on that.

Suslik V

Post a log from you attempt to connect to IP cam ('Media Source' in OBS). (if you have local cam add it to the current Scene Collection too)

Suslik V

Do you have any virtual (or real) cam in your system? If not try install it (or plug it in). Add cam via 'Video Capture Device', then try to connect to the IP cam (Media Source), leave Input Format field empty. After 30-40 sec Upload Current Log File (menu Help) then close OBS Studio.

I'm asking to add real 'Video Capture Device' to the same scene collection, because otherwise your 'Media Source' errors don't logged into OBS log-file (they are using same libraries).

Also, try to test this temporary link as Input (leave Input Format field empty!):
Code:
rtsp://184.72.239.149/vod/mp4:BigBuckBunny_115k.mov
its working for me right now. Make sure that OBS Studio is not blocked by security software (firewall, antivirus etc.)

FayeSelene

Oke It's not working yet.

But my husband is in the IT and is gonna help me.

First of all your temporary link as media source work just fine so it's not obs stuido that is the problem.

Second we tried to make a virtual cam out of the ip camera with IP video Source. (only this program only supports http and mjpeg and not, rtsp. h264.

Then we downloaded AlterCam that does support rtsp. But it keept trying to connect and thats it.

Getting the ip link in VLC still works.

We can conclude that the problem is our ip url.

My husband is going to try to make a http mjepg link of our IP Cam instead of the rtsp 264.

Do you have any tips on this?
Or do you know of any other free programs like AlterCam or plugins to make a virtual cam out of rtsp url?
So we can use the Video Capture Device.

I will also place a log in a few min with my webacam as Video Capture Device.
So you can look into that.

I'm really thankful for your help.

Suslik V

Maybe it was not clear, sorry for that.

I mean that, usually, OBS log doesn't show errors for 'Media Source' (feature or bug:) but if you add 'Video Capture Device' to the scene and application initialize it well, then you can find errors in the log (if any) caused by 'Media Source' itself. It's like 'Media Source' verbosity depends on 'Video Capture Device' source presence.

OK.
from your log:

20:34:53.646: error: method DESCRIBE failed: 401 Unauthorized

caused by 'Media Source'.

Can you try a link without authentication (remove admin@ part)?

FayeSelene

WE FIXED IT.

Thaanksss so much!

We couldn't leave username blank. But we added a password instead of leaving it blank.
Used the url with username and password and it works!!!

I'm so Happy!!!