Question / Help OBS-studio FD_CLOSE error - tried everything

BlueX

Hey,
2 weeks ago I started having a problem with OBS-studio... after couple of minutes (sometimes after 2 minutes, sometimes after 10 minutes) my bitrate drops to 0kb/s I drop few hundred frames (cca 300) and then stream disconnects. In error logs I found an error:

11:30:28.349: socket_thread_windows: Received FD_CLOSE, 18813 ms since last send (buffer: 274734 / 276480)
11:30:28.349: socket_thread_windows: Aborting due to FD_CLOSE, error 10053

I read a lot of forum posts and tried everything I could, no help. I tried: lowered bitrate (I went as low as 1000 from normal 3900 streaming 2 weeks ago), changed server (Prague/Warsaw/Frankfurt/Vienna all the same), updated drivers, changed service (tried Hitbox.tv, caffeinetv, tried xsplit/gameshow), I stream only via ethernet, turned off firewall on PC & router, I even reinstalled windows so I get rid of 3rd party stuff and finally I changed router.

Nothing above seemed to help but my ISP just tells me he thinks problem is with my PC/router, so after that message I changed router and also installed OBS on my Ubuntu notebook where I got these errors:

16:32:11.942: WriteN, RTMP send error 110 (1700 bytes)
16:32:11.942: WriteN, RTMP send error 32 (80 bytes)
16:32:11.942: WriteN, RTMP send error 9 (42 bytes)
16:32:11.942: [rtmp stream: 'simple_stream'] Disconnected from rtmp://live-prg.twitch.tv/app

Different error numbers, but problem still the same, after cca 10 minutes stream drops even on Ubuntu. I heavily think its ISP's problem and not mine, is there anything else I can try on my end to prevent this problem ?

Log from couple of streaming sessions: https://pastebin.com/h02Tpftv
- I tried to stream everyday for 2 weeks, these are just latest (I tried switching nearly every possible settings in OBS)
- 2 weeks ago I was able to stream with 3900 bitrate with 0.0-0.1% dropped frame after couple of hours of streaming.

EDIT: I tried to directly connect ISP's cable (PPPOE connection) directly to my PC to bypass the router
EDIT2: Also when the disconnect occurs internet doesn't drop, its just that one connection via OBS, I tried pinging google DNS 8.8.8.8 during streaming and when disconnect occurred ping hasn't change...

Thanks a lot !

Last edited:

SumDim

The Server is telling OBS Studio to close the connection. Likely due to the quailty of service between you and the server is not good to sustain the communication.

The routing path between you and the server is poor. I've seen this in other users on here who live in foreign countries trying to connect to servers outside theirs. The service is fine within the country, but when they go outside, it sucks.

BlueX

The Server is telling OBS Studio to close the connection. Likely due to the quailty of service between you and the server is not good to sustain the communication.

The routing path between you and the server is poor. I've seen this in other users on here who live in foreign countries trying to connect to servers outside theirs. The service is fine within the country, but when they go outside, it sucks.

I'm from Slovakia and I tried Czech/Poland/Austria servers, there wasn't this problem in the past tho.

Harold

Well it's probably not on your end but between them and your streaming provider instead.

BlueX

My ISP actually tried to increase my internet speed from 10/5 to 10/10 didn't help the problem, since its about stability not speed, this guy...

I would suggest to do a traceroute and/or a continues ping test. to the server that you try to stream to.

Open up a dos box and type: tracert <url>
Example: tracert www.google.com (for the traceroute test.)

Continues ping test:
Also in a dos box type: ping -t <url>
Example: ping -t www.google.com (you can stop it by pressing crtl+c)

If that shows odd times after the 1st hop (1st hop should be your router/modem) you can shove those results in the face of your isp and they will have to do something with it.(this is for the tracert)

The ping test is sortof extra but it can support your 1st findings (extra proof to show to your isp)

BlueX

I would suggest to do a traceroute and/or a continues ping test. to the server that you try to stream to.

Open up a dos box and type: tracert <url>
Example: tracert www.google.com (for the traceroute test.)

Continues ping test:
Also in a dos box type: ping -t <url>
Example: ping -t www.google.com (you can stop it by pressing crtl+c)

If that shows odd times after the 1st hop (1st hop should be your router/modem) you can shove those results in the face of your isp and they will have to do something with it.(this is for the tracert)

The ping test is sortof extra but it can support your 1st findings (extra proof to show to your isp)

So basically I did a continuous pinging of google dns, haven't noticed any change of time during the drop.... Just now I did a continuous tracert via WinMTR and again besides 1 or 2 pings having 300ms, average was still 11ms BUT after 1st hop (I connected my PC via PPPOE to bypass my router, so the first hop is ISP) pings had 1% loss after 278pings sent...

After OBS shows "18738 ms since last send" I don't think 1% loss is enough to cause such an issue, or am I wrong ? I just graduated from IT school, but I'm more of a software than a hardware person :D

EDIT: WinMTR report: https://pastebin.com/w1sGuSud

Harold

All of what you've said so far does not address the fact that it's not a lot you can solve if you've actually tried the troubleshooting guide I linked.

Why did you try the google dns and not the actual server you try to stream to as i explained in the 1st line of my post?
I don't doubt that you have a decent route to the google dns but that is not your problem. The problem is (possibly) the route to the streaming server.

Anyways follow the guide that Harold linked and if that doesn't work try to follow the tests that i suggested (and not some random dns server but the ACTUAL server you try to reach/stream to because thats what you are having problems with right?

Tibibo

I have the same problem. But if I use TouchVPN (from Win10 Store), the disconnection does not occur. Why?

siqr1710

I have the same problem,

20:28:18.136: WriteN, RTMP send error 10053 (4097 bytes)
20:28:18.136: WriteN, RTMP send error 10053 (108 bytes)
20:28:18.136: WriteN, RTMP send error 10038 (42 bytes)
20:28:18.137: [rtmp stream: 'simple_stream'] Disconnected from rtmp://live.stream...

but if i run TouchVPN, the OBS works fine and doesnt reconnect... Whats the reason? Always i have to run with touch vpn??? What could be the solution for that?

Please Help!!

siqr1710

But nevertheless, until about two months ago, OBS worked fine without TouchVPN with the same ISP and the same pc, so thats the meaning of my doubt. Anyone happens same?

Lanceyboy24

Im replying here as this post comes up all the time and I was dealing with this issue for months. The problem is someone has your IP address and you are being forced offline on purpose.

I unplugged my router for 24 hours, got a new IP, never join an xbox party and remove all randoms on your friends list.

No one believed me that this was happening. If you want to see for yourself, give someone you trust your stream key, let them go live on your account and your Internet will cut just like before and your friend will stay love on your stream.
This is not a problem with obs, platforms or hardware. It is a disgusting human being problem.
Hope this saves you some time and money.