Question / Help OBS Studio does nothing when I click record.

Mike Callan

Hello,

I'm trying to locally record DotA 2 gameplay (not stream) at 2160p 30fps. I've been using nvidia shadowplay and the quality is fantastic with no impact to gameplay at all. However, Shadowplay's depth is lacking and I'm unable to record multiple audio tracks to enhance my ability to post edit.

I'd like to mimic Shadowplay's quality using OBS Studio, but I'm running into some issues. Currently, I've set my recording settings and scene properly (I think) but when I click "Start Recording" - literally nothing happens. Here's a log file.

https://gist.github.com/b4bc04f50a3de3da991b67cd691ee907

Thanks in advance.

Harold

10:39:49.634: [NVENC encoder: 'recording_h264'] Failed to open NVENC codec: Cannot allocate memory
Your settings are incompatible with the nvenc interface. Did you try setting the profile to high?

Harold

It's definitely possible.

You're probably going to be stuck using x264 crf 15 ultrafast though.

Mike Callan

Well. I got it working with H264 and Nvenc, odd thing now is that when I launch the OBS Studio program it will start recording once and stop when I tell it to. It'll sometimes record a second time, and stop when I tell it to. But never more than 2 times. After 2 times, it'll react like previously - I'll click "start recording" and nothing happens.

https://gist.github.com/7c3a40455eb5afa77ad8fb092e4dbf20

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
What NVidia driver version are you running? Also, are you running 64-bit Windows or 32-bit?

Mike Callan

Driver version 372.70 according to GeForce software, Windows driver version 21.21.13.7270. I'm using Windows 10 pro 64-bit.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
First, try out the 64-bit OBS Studio. It should already be installed on your system. Since the error is related to memory allocation, maybe OBS Studio 32-bit just can't allocate enough memory as needed for NVENC at 4K@30fps? I don't know if that's actually the case (or exactly how NVENC memory allocation works), but it's easy to test out the 64-bit OBS Studio here, so give it a try.

If that doesn't work, maybe try an older Nvidia driver? Some people on these forums have suggested that 365.19 is more stable for capturing and/or NVENC than newer drivers.

Mike Callan

Bruh. It seems like 64-bit fixed the problem at least for now. I've started recording like 10 times in a row with no issues. Thanks for the recommendation, and I'll keep ya posted.