OBS Studio AMD VCE bitrate problem

Benman2785

OBS VCE Settings
OBS_VCE_codec_settings.jpg

OBS_VCE_encoder_settings.jpg

OBS Studio VCE Settings
OBS_Studio_AMD_VCE_encoder_settings.jpg

OBS VCE bitrate with peaks (no framedrops possible)
Bitrate-check_OBS_VCE_fork.jpg

OBS Studio VCE bitrate peaks (will give framedrops)
Bitrate-check_OBS_Studio_AMD_VCE.jpg

Bitrate-check_OBS_Studio_AMD_VCE_2.jpg

hi - with OBS VCE fork you can set the bitrate perfectly without big peaks by custom buffersize - but OBS Studio dont have these settings - i show you some pictures what need to be added in advanced settings // i also add bitrate peaks pictures to see the problem - these will result in a framedrop while streaming

Last edited:

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Hardware encoding in OBS Studio is still in an experimental phase, and is not recommended for streaming quite yet. Improvements to QuickSync, NVENC, and VCE are all planned.

Benman2785

yes - it works with VLC -> but VLC can usually playback nearly anything that has a video-stream ;)

ps download the file - u can check it - its not corrupt - but it cant be watched via webbrowser (Firefox 47.0) -> webserver is nginx and files from different programms works

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Unfortunately the media foundation encoders are just terrible. NVENC and quicksync were already replaced with good ones and their media foundation versions were deprecated and no longer are visible to the user, but the VCE media foundation encoder in studio is still there because we have no other way to use VCE at the moment.

My recommendation is to use jack0r's fork for the time being -- we personally aren't allowed to directly distribute it because VCE is still incompatible with GPL.