OBS Studio 28.1 Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Disclaimer: This is a test build, not a full release. This build may contain bugs or broken functionality. For production usage, we still recommend using the latest stable build of OBS. If you are willing to test this build, please let us know if you run into any issues.

OBS Studio 28.1 RC 1 is now available for testing! This update is focusing on the new AV1 encoder support present in RTX 40 series GPUs, as well as updates to the NVENC presets. There are also a handful of bug fixes and improvements to the Virtual Camera output options.
  • Added NVENC AV1 hardware encoder on Windows [Jim]
    • Currently only works with the NV12 (OBS default) and P010 color formats
    • Currently does not support the "rescale" feature in advanced output mode
    • Only available and shown for RTX 40 Series video cards from NVIDIA
    • Available in simple output mode for recording (Beta note: please test this to make sure the quality is as expected for "high" and "indistinguishable"! I can tweak the internal quality coefficients if needed.)
  • Updated NVENC presets [Jim]
    • Presets have been split into 3 different settings: Preset, Tuning, and Multipass Mode
    • Presets are now P1-P7, lower numbers being lower quality, higher numbers being higher quality. Note that higher presets may incur higher GPU usage which could impact the performance of games running simultaneously with OBS. The number of simultaneous NVENC encoding sessions may be lower when using the highest presets. OBS will automatically map your current NVENC settings to the closest preset when upgrading.
    • Tuning is used to determine whether to prioritize latency or quality. It has three settings: High Quality, Low Latency, and Ultra Low Latency.
    • Multipass Mode is used to determine whether a second pass is used in encoding, and has three settings: Disabled, Quarter Resolution, and Full Resolution. Enabling this will give higher quality at the cost of more GPU resource usage.
  • Fixed a bug where Direct3D 9 games stopped capturing properly with game capture on Windows 11 22H2 [Rodney]
  • Moved "Always on Top" to the View menu [gxalpha]
  • You can now select a specific source for the Virtual Camera [chippydip]
Find the the full patch notes and download links for OBS Studio 28.1 RC 1 here:
Steam users
: To access the beta via Steam, right-click the OBS Studio entry in Steam or click the cog icon on the game page, select "Properties...", then navigate to "Betas" and select the "beta" option in the dropdown:
1659496483190-png.85265

Flatpak Beta Installation:
Bash:
$ flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub-beta https://flathub.org/beta-repo/flathub-beta.flatpakrepo

$ flatpak install flathub-beta com.obsproject.Studio

Please give the build a try and let us know here or in the #beta-testing channel on Discord if you have any issues. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Could I use Steam for the beta but keep my stable build standalone?
At least on Windows, any OBS installation not run in portable mode uses the same location for user settings (Scene Collections, Profiles, Global Settings). Plugins, however, are per-installation on Windows (note: plugins are always per-user on macOS). If you want to use completely separate installations, you need to run OBS in portable mode. That comes with other caveats, such as those regarding game capture and virtual camera (game capture hooks are global per system; virtual camera will use the globally installed DLLs).

Last edited:

Morgrain

This build is completely broken on my RTX 4090 (I'm trying to capture Anno 1800 gameplay).

Setting the options works (AV1, NV12 and P010), plus the preview works properly (smooth gameplay, no issues visible).

OBS also doesn't give any errors out, such as "encoding overloaded". I can record "normally" and everything seems fine.

When the video file gets created and I check it's metadata, there's no issue visible - but when I try to watch the video, it's completely botched. It's broken. It's as if the video got recorded with 2 FPS, the screen barely changes. It's as if I'd watch the worst livestream of all, where the picture only changes every dozen seconds or so.

The sound is fine, the metadata is fine - but the video is broken.

I already tried a re-installation and tried different encoders, but I can't get proper recordings on this build. And yes, OBS is running as Administrator.

Last edited:

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
This build is completely broken on my RTX 4090 (I'm trying to capture Anno 1800 gameplay).

Setting the options works (AV1, NV12 and P010), plus the preview works properly (smooth gameplay, no issues visible).

OBS also doesn't give any errors out, such as "encoding overloaded". I can record "normally" and everything seems fine.

When the video file gets created and I check it's metadata, there's no issue visible - but when I try to watch the video, it's completely botched. It's broken. It's as if the video got recorded with 2 FPS, the screen barely changes. It's as if I'd watch the worst livestream of all, where the picture only changes every dozen seconds or so.

The sound is fine, the metadata is fine - but the video is broken.

I already tried a re-installation and tried different encoders, but I can't get proper recordings on this build. And yes, OBS is running as Administrator.

Please provide an OBS log file of a session where this occurred. Please also provide a sample recording file. It might also be helpful to see recordEncoder.json (%AppData%\obs-studio\basic\profiles\[profile_name]\recordEncoder.json) right after creating a sample recording.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
The issue above ended up being that VLC has difficulty decoding 4K AV1 video files. The videos play fine in MPV or Chrome, suggesting this is partly due to that VLC 3 uses software decoding for AV1 (though Chrome with hardware accelerated decoding disabled also seems to have better playback performance of 4K AV1 files than VLC 3).

TecnoWorld

Sorry in advance, I'm new to OBS. I have a 4090 rtx and downloaded this release candidate, but as an encoder I only see sw/hw h.264. Not even 265, let alone AV1.

What am I missing? Should I install something from nVidia, other than the latest drivers which I have? Thanks.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Sorry in advance, I'm new to OBS. I have a 4090 rtx and downloaded this release candidate, but as an encoder I only see sw/hw h.264. Not even 265, let alone AV1.

What am I missing? Should I install something from nVidia, other than the latest drivers which I have? Thanks.
Just for reference, you were probably looking at the stream outputs, which will only show AV1/HEVC for supported services. Nothing currently supports AV1, and only YouTube over HLS supports HEVC. Both should show up under Recording even in simple mode, however.

TecnoWorld

You are definitely right and I simply was looking at the stream tab (simply less evident in the "simple" visualization compared to the "advanced" one).

One more question. I have no issue in getting video recording from several games, both windowed and full screen.

But I seem not to get the game output only for Fortnite (I get a black screen). It works only if I capture the whole screen, while if I use the game capture tool it doesn't work both if windowed and full screen (I select the right window and I also select the tool compatible with anti cheat apps).

Thanks again for your kind attention.

Thomas Berg

I downloaded and used 28.0.0 today (Tuesday, November 1, 2022) and used it to record a Zoom conference in which I use the ATEM Mini and another computer as inputs for my virtual camera. Unbeknownst to me, the OBS recording process suddenly quit 30 minutes into the 90-minute conference without my intervention; thus, OBS did not record and I subsequently lost the last 60 minutes. Interestingly, after the recording had stopped, the "Start Recording" button was still illuminated, showing that I was still recording during the last and lost 60 minutes. I never have had any similar or parallel issues with 27.0.3 (or the last version before 28.0.0), the version that I now wish that I would have used.

I welcome any thoughts, ideas, solutions, et cetera.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
I downloaded and used 28.0.0 today (Tuesday, November 1, 2022) and used it to record a Zoom conference in which I use the ATEM Mini and another computer as inputs for my virtual camera. Unbeknownst to me, the OBS recording process suddenly quit 30 minutes into the 90-minute conference without my intervention; thus, OBS did not record and I subsequently lost the last 60 minutes. Interestingly, after the recording had stopped, the "Start Recording" button was still illuminated, showing that I was still recording during the last and lost 60 minutes. I never have had any similar or parallel issues with 27.0.3 (or the last version before 28.0.0), the version that I now wish that I would have used.

I welcome any thoughts, ideas, solutions, et cetera.
This thread is for reporting feedback on OBS 28.1, not general troubleshooting. I'd recommending making a new thread in the support section for your operating system, and including the log file from that recording session so someone can take a closer look.

.norman.

28.1 when you click on "Check File Integrity" or "Check for Updates" should there be a dialog box or something that appears? currently nothing happens.

thanks.

Oblivion2290

28.1 when you click on "Check File Integrity" or "Check for Updates" should there be a dialog box or something that appears? currently nothing happens.

thanks.
me too....
I have a same problem ... I realized that from the downloadable site they give version 28.1 .... I remembered that I had 28.0.3 on mine ... so I opened OBS and clicked on: help> check updates .... and nothing nothing came out ...
then i did: help> check file integrity ...
and even so nothing ...
have I all bugged? then I uninstalled and reinstalled (this time immediately 28.1 only that I have the same problem I do not check for new updates and not even the integrity of the files
do you know why?

TerminatorSAW2k

Hallo, ich habe ein Problem mit dem Beta-Plugin für die Anwendungsaufzeichnung, ich kann Edge Youtube nicht auswählen und Seiten zu den Youtube-Videos weiterleiten, die es auch nicht zu spielen scheint, ich nehme Chrome, es geht reibungslos, obwohl es auf Edge auf Chrome basiert.

Hat jemand ähnliche Fehler?

Fenrir

Forum Admin
As OBS 28.1 has been released, going to go ahead and lock this thread. If you need assistance, please use the normal support sections, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.