OBS Studio 26.0 Release Candidate 1 and Virtual Cam

DJuego

It seems that at last OBS natively supports the virtual camera. Thank you very much for the hard work!!

Windows: Added Virtual Camera, allowing you to use the OBS output as a camera in other apps on your computer. Support for other operating systems will be added in future versions when they're ready [Jim]

However, I am not able to use it. :-(( I'm using the portable (OBS-Studio-26.0-rc1-Full-x64.zip) version, could that be the problem? Someone could give you some instructions on how to use it. Thank you!

DJuego

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
The virtual camera requires installation, only the installer does this currently.

DJuego

Thank you for your reply, R1CH

I suspected it. I don't know if it would be easy to do it but it seems attractive to offer the option of doing a standalone installation of the virtual camera compatible with the portable version.

DJuego

DJuego

Well I appreciate very much that in the second release (OBS Studio 26.0 Release Candidate 2) the .bat installation files have been included. Thanks!!

Sadly, When i tried i get a "32-bit Virtual Cam installation failed". And the script finish.

In the end I managed to do the installation manually with the lines:

regsvr32.exe /i /s obs-virtualcam-module32.dll
regsvr32.exe /i /s obs-virtualcam-module64.dll

I've tried it on Discord and it seems to work.

DJuego
PS: I've tried it on my desktop and my laptop. Both have the same version of Windows 10 x64 completely updated...

DJuego

Thank you very much! The OBS Studio 26.0 Release Candidate 3 has apparently solved this problem. :-)

Fixed the virtual camera register/unregister batch files (used with the zip builds) not always working

DJuego

Long Island

Are there any benefits to using the new native virtual cam instead of the plugin? Specifically looking for which will use less system resources.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
The native virtual cam was rewritten and should have higher performance, but you probably won't notice much real-world difference.