OBS should give some sort of visual when streaming to YouTube is not actually working

joondez

So when streaming to YouTube via OBS, the UI for OBS will show "LIVE" at the bottom as if streaming is actually happening. A counter will even show how long OBS is going "live" for. However, streaming may or may not actually be happening on YouTube. At least for me, it looks like launching YouTube Studio is a requirement when streaming via OBS. However, if you forget to launch YouTube Studio via browser, the "LIVE" message at the bottom of OBS can be very misleading.

I just streamed content to YouTube for about an hour via OBS but realized nothing got streamed because I thought I was streaming when I wasn't.

Lawrence_SoCal

I understand the frustration.... but I doubt looking to OBS to address this is the right approach.

What you are suggesting would require the streaming platform (YouTube in this case) to have a reliable API/interface that can be called/monitored for streaming status, and that streaming s/w (OBS) be updated to utilize that. For example, I run a live stream using OBS to Facebook. Facebook's live producer sometimes indicates a stream problem when the stream is actually working fine.
OBS's indicator is telling you if it has a connection to a server, and is receiving the appropriate acknowledgements. After that, it is up to streaming host/platform how it handles the stream you are sending (I don't see how OBS could do a thing about it short of something along the lines of a reset/start anew, or ??)
Personally, I almost always have the stream platform monitoring page up (/Live/Producer in my case) AND either I or someone I'm in direct communication with, watching the stream on a separate Internet connection (ex tablet using cellular connection). LOTS of things can happen/go wrong that have NOTHING to do with OBS's stream and its connection to the streaming host, and I'd question the reasonableness of asking a free software platform to monitor all that other for a streamer. I've had issues with my Internet connection (which OBS promptly tells me about with indicator going from Green to Yellow to Red, and disconnects, with prompt re-connects), the security or similar software on a corporate laptop interfering, etc. But with Facebook at least, I personally have never had the issue of OBS saying stream OK and that not being the case

Now if the industry came up with some standards for such stream status/monitoring, then......
Then again, I'm a relative newbie to OBS, and maybe there is something I'm not aware