OBS says I'm still streaming, but Twitch stream goes offline & I don't know until viewers tell me.

AstroAnie

I'm using OBS Studio (25.0.8). I'll be streaming and everything seems fine until viewers tell me my stream has died. It still looks like I'm streaming from my end. When I press "Stop Streaming" on OBS during these times it gets stuck on "Stopping Stream". I then have to force OBS to quit and then I restart. It does this about 2 times in about 3 hours, sometimes more. There is never a crash log as, I guess, it never really crashes. A friend and I have combed through the logs and tried to fix anything we can think of and I'm really all out of options. I cannot have my stream continuing to disconnect so frequently like this.
I use NVENC and everything is up to date.

This happened a couple months ago at first. I uninstall a lot of programs and reinstalled OBS. I believed I fixed the problem as it didn't happen for about a while until this Thursday. I stopped running a few programs thinking they were interfering, but I never really knew what 'fixed' my problem the first time. I guess I never really fixed my problem.

I found this achieved post that sounds similar to my problem, but it doesn't seem to have any resolutions. https://old.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/51nd7b/obs_stops_working_in_the_middle_of_streams/

I've included two log files from today when the stream stopped.
Thanks again for anyone's help!

Attachments

• 2020-06-14 13-34-31.txt
    24 KB · Views: 487
  • 2020-06-14 15-10-12.txt
    22.3 KB · Views: 211

qhobbes

1. Use a wired (ethernet) connection. Wireless connections can cause issues because of their unstable nature. Streaming really requires a stable connection. Often wireless connections are fine, but if you have problems, the first troubleshooting step would be to switch to wired. We highly recommend streaming on wired connections.
2. Update your Windows per https://obsproject.com/blog/five-simple-tips-for-new-streamers

AstroAnie

I'm pretty sure streaming over Wi-Fi isn't my problem. I've extensively checked internet speeds and my connection, they are stable. I have been streaming for almost 2 years over Wi-Fi. I also saw this message in the https://obsproject.com/tools/analyzer by uploading my logs as well.

This is a new problem.

Last edited:

FALUHSEE

Hello!!

I can CONFIRM as of today I am experiencing the same exact problem. I have a WIRED connection straight to the router so that rules out that theory. Hoping OP can let us know if problem was resolved or not. Thanks!

-Faluhsee

Sparhawke

This has long been an issue, and long been reported and long been completely ignored by Twitch/Amazon who like to say they are entirely customer driver, and they are king but like to show us that we mean absolutely fuck all to them.

JCog

Has anyone figured this out? This exact thing is happening to me, twice today. I'm running OBS Studio 26.1.1, and the only indication that I wasn't actually streaming was that it said my stream speed was 0 kb/s. I've attached a photo of what OBS looked like before I closed it (which I had to end in task manager to get to completely shut down), along with the log. According to the first chat message I got about it, my stream went down at 12:13 AM ET, and there's nothing about that in the logs, other than, ya know, the log messages stopping, but I didn't actually attempt to end the stream until much later.

Attachments

• obs_screenshot.png
    obs_screenshot.png
    918.2 KB · Views: 560
  • 2021-04-25 19-35-02.txt
    69.1 KB · Views: 314

qhobbes

Get the basics out of the way:
1. At least one of your audio devices has a sample rate that doesn't match the rest. This can result in audio drift over time or sound distortion. Check your audio devices in Windows settings (both Playback and Recording) and ensure the Default Format (under Advanced) is consistent. 48000 Hz is recommended.
OBS Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
Speakers (VB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO): 48000 Hz
Line (VB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO): 44100 Hz
2. Run OBS as Admin. Right click on shortcut, properties, advanced, check box, ok, apply, ok.
3. Record to MKV or FLV. If you record to MP4 or MOV and the recording is interrupted, the file will be corrupted and unrecoverable.

If you require MP4 files for some other purpose like editing, remux them afterwards by selecting File > Remux Recordings in the main OBS Studio window or enable Auto remux in the advanced settings.
4. Having the YUV Color range set to "Full" will cause playback issues in certain browsers and on various video platforms. Shadows, highlights and color will look off. In OBS, go to "Settings -> Advanced" and set "YUV Color Range" back to "Partial".
5. Display and Game Capture Sources interfere with each other. Never put them in the same scene.

Post new log after making those changes.

JCog

Okay, all changes have been made and the log analyzer in your signature is saying everything's good (although 5 seems like it should *really* warn you about that if it's an issue, but w/e I don't usually use the scenes that had that anyway). Unfortunately, it's an intermittent issue that doesn't always happen, but I'll be sure to post again with a new log if it does.

JCog

Well it happened to me again. It seems like the log analyzer in qhobbes's signature found the issue this time though. If anyone finds this in the future and I haven't posted here again, assume this fixed the issue:
Dynamic Bitrate is enabled and a hardware encoder is potentially in use. This can cause issues with hardware encoders if bitrate changes happen too frequently, or drops too low. Should you experience bitrate dropping to zero, or no output even if OBS says its streaming, either change your Encoder to x264 or turn off Dynamic Bitrate in Settings -> Advanced -> Network.

Specifically, uncheck the option that says "Dynamically change bitrate to manage congestion (Beta)".

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
OP's problem was caused by a dynamic bitrate bug which is since fixed, this thread is very old so it's unlikely you're having the same problem.

bikecurious

I am also experiencing this issue. I use OBS in an IRL streaming context. I have reproduced this issue on both PC and Mac. I suspect the bug is in the adaptive bitrate feature since I have never reproduced the issue with that turned off. I typically have adaptive bitrate turned on because I stream outdoors from my bike where connectivity can change a lot during the stream.

It would be excellent to have somebody add a layer of polish to the adaptive bitrate feature. I would certainly be willing to pay a developer if that would help fix the issue.

PaiSand

I am also experiencing this issue. I use OBS in an IRL streaming context. I have reproduced this issue on both PC and Mac. I suspect the bug is in the adaptive bitrate feature since I have never reproduced the issue with that turned off. I typically have adaptive bitrate turned on because I stream outdoors from my bike where connectivity can change a lot during the stream.

It would be excellent to have somebody add a layer of polish to the adaptive bitrate feature. I would certainly be willing to pay a developer if that would help fix the issue.
OBS does not have a movil app.

dratsum

Same issue. Running OBS Studio 27.2.4 on Mint Linux. I run an always on stream and it's been running for 2 days without an issue. Streaming at 6000knps using NVEC. "Dynamically change bitrate" is unchecked. Stream stopped broadcasting on twitch, even tho OBS said it was still streaming. When I clicked "Stop Streaming" it hung and I had to Kill the process.

sensei_wolfe

Currently having the same issue. When I unchecked dynamic bitrate, my stream got laggy again..I put it on bc my stream was laggy in the first place

DmytroUAAA

Yeah, I have this problem too. I streamed via restream to both youtube and twitch. I know it is recommended to set not higher than 6000kbps for twitch but I set 9500 because of youtube - I tried to get vp9 codec. But the thing is twitch went offline sometimes days before story with vp9. Restream shows me streaming to both but when I go to my twich channel I can see I`m offline.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Twitch's limit is not a recommendation, your stream will go offline if you exceed it.