Question / Help Obs recording nvenc issuo

PanosMavromatis

Hello, i've been using obs studio for a while to record using nvenc. Recently i've been going through a lot of issues and i really dont understand why. I used to record using Nvenc with the below settings.
Video format : Mkv
Rate control : cbr
bitrate : 120000Kbps
preset : quality
profile : high
My problem is that i was able to record 240fps videos at 1080p with 2 diffrent audio tracks ( 1 for my audio and 1 for my microphone ) but the two don't seem to want to go together. By the two i mean 240fps and 2 audio tracks. I've been tinkering with the settings and it doesnt seem like i can record 240fps 1080p with 2 audio tracks enabled. It will have to be one or the other otherwise when i start recording , no file is created and when i stop recording im stuck at stopping recording and have to kill the proccess from task manager. I also tried reseting obs's settings and setting everything up once again but nothing seems to fix it. Checking the logs i found nothing other than that: https://pastebin.com/RZEbD0Vz I was wondering if it could be a gpu driver issue since like 1 month ago i was able to do up to 200000kbps 240fps with no gpu usage. When i tried 240fps on x264 at 2500kbps to make sure my cpu wouldnt get to 100% the results were unstable, once working but some times it would do the same thing with nvenc. By the way i record minecraft at 240fps cause it makes the video very smooth when it gets compressed to 60fps after rendering it and it also helps for any slowmotion if needed.

PanosMavromatis

Oh i see, I guess that's why it was working perfectly fine like 2 weeks ago. I was reading that pushing the gpu too much could result to that but it wasnt running over 15% so that confused me. Anyway thank you i will try x264 evev though i dont think it will be able to work at even 120fps without hitting 100%. Meaby rolling back the gpu driver or obs could solve it.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Your log is incomplete as it doesn't show a recording session. You should not be using CBR for recording, use simple mode with one of the quality presets instead.

PanosMavromatis

Yes i know that it doesnt get completed. It says it starts recording but it doesnt show anything after that. Its like obs just crashes right as it tries to start recording. Actually when i click stop recording and it gets stuck my gpu usage is peaking at 50% on task manager and when i force exit the program there is a service of obs that is taking up to 90% of my gpu but when i double checked it with riva tuner statistics it doenst show any usage on my gpu and that confused me even more. Why shouldn't i be using cbr? Untill now it doesnt seem to be the problem. As i stated above the issue is caused only when i record video with more than 1 audio track and even after reinstalling windows 10 it isnt fixed so i guess i should do a bug report since that used to work like 1 month ago.

Narcogen

https://obsproject.com/wiki/Known-Conflicts

List includes Riva Tuner.

CBR is primarily for streaming, not recording. Using it for recording increases file size while offering no increase in quality.

If you're saying it's caused "only when i record video with more than 1 audio track" what you may mean is when you switcedh from a built-in preset to advanced mode. The recording preset uses CRF rate control; when you switched to advanced you selected CBR.

MikeDedon

so im just like u who never had an issue with 240 recording until randomly it just started saying stop recording. Everyones saying change ur settings but those are the settings that get you the recording you want, also they used to work. so you don't want to compromise because you've had it working before? ya I was in the same boat and just came back to see if anyone found a solution.

try using obs 20.0.0

however the only difference is that i was trying to use my simple mode preset in advanced mode to be able to use multiple audio streams. I was able to replicate it and use cqp settings with 240 fps on mkv with no issues. let me know your updates though