OBS recording black instead of the screen

Kazoothecat

Today I had the intention of recording the screen of my computer for a speedpaint. I looked at the setup manual, and set it up according to the directions. I drew what I needed to and about an hour later, I asked it to stop recording and I was left with a video file that was an hour long silent, black screen. Is there some reason this may have happened, or any way to fix it? Due to this issue I've lost an hour's worth of work, so I'd like to know how to solve it!

Attachments

• 2020-07-25 19-22-38.txt
    10.5 KB · Views: 8

carlmmii

According to the logs you just have a single window capture source. Do you get anything shown in OBS's preview? If not, then try using display capture instead.

koala

Before you perform real action, you should certainly make sure your recording works as intended. It seems you used OBS for the first time ever, and I tell you: the first 10 recordings you do will be awful. Just because you don't yet understand the circumstances of a good recording. This is something you can only learn by doing.
So before you do your best performances, test and train the recordings. Verify your test recordings and fine-tune configuration and the scene arrangement in general. Only if you are satisfied with your test recordings, perform real.