OBS output rate control? ABR

VeteranBiker

no other option available, running sonoma 14.5 macbook intel processor. Why cant I selct CBR or CRF?
Screenshot 2024-07-13 at 8.44.01 AM.png

Lawrence_SoCal

I'm not a Mac user, so don't know for sure... however... search/see other threads on MacOS changes impacting Intel-based Mac's and GPU encode options (first I've seen this reference, but lots of other GPU encode offload option issues, and for more than OBS Studio. Adobe has a link for Premier Pro to work-around one issue...
and my response may have NOTHING to do with your issue. I noticed no reply to your post, so offer this in case it helps you figure this out on your own.

Babbylon

I am wondering the same thing.

This is my first post.

Thanks for having this forum.
This is all new to me. I have an audio background. Lots of good info here.

Mac Pro 2019. It has intel processor and 580x graphics

With my streaming encoders set to the apple hevc. I only have an option for ABR

There isn’t CBR.

I am wondering why if anyone knows.

Lawrence_SoCal

Per other threads, Apple changed something with MacOS update that specifically impacts encode offload options on Intel CPU/AMD GPU systems. This 'feels' like an Apple oversight (bug) as they focus on their latest M series CPU systems, but could just as easily be something else
If
Per other threads, which I've not seen an answer to (could be I wasn't paying attention and answers are there?) the outstanding question is whether this is
- an Apple bug, to be fixed?
- an intentional change on Apple's part, with no work-around planned?
however, if this was the case, I'd have expected folks to be able to point to Apple documentation on this​
- an intentional change on Apple's part, with a work-around?
the obvious follow-up being whether the work-around (ex in Adobe post) is the right answer; or if there is another, better work-around; or whether community is still waiting for public release of work-around info​

my understanding (could be wrong, do your own research) is that going back to prior version of MacOS resolves the problem