OBS OSX - Browser Source is broken since Catalina - Is this on developers list as a known issue? Thanks.

RedHenMedia

Since OSX Catalina video elements are frozen when loaded as browser source. (i.e. Streamoverlay). I've checked with others who use it and on discord, it's a known problem there. Hoping that developers know about the issue and are working to fix it. This problem only happens on OSX it works fine on Windows OBS. Also, rolling back to a pre Catalina version of OBS fixes the browser source video issue but breaks other essential OBS functionality. I would LOVE if this got fixed because it's a core part of my streaming. Even if it's not fixed can developers confirm that they know about this bug? Thanks!
Example below. (i'm switching scenes from black to overlay to highlight issue, the lower third is supposed to be a looped animation you can see it only updates when switching scenes): https://youtu.be/ByhJdUXf8Aw
Log File: https://obsproject.com/logs/giRQG5ViP26hhkeq

Last edited by a moderator:

ryanfreng

Yep. I just signed up to the forum to check this out. I'm having the exact same issue :/ My browser source will work for about 1sec then it freezes.

This is only on my Mac with the latest OSX. It works great on my PC.

RedHenMedia

Thanks for signing up to add your voice to this issue. It's a big problem and I hope OBS developers address it soon! I've been posting about it, and asking for help hoping that someone would respond or at least acknowledge the problem but unfortunately there's been no responses. I'd love to hear something at least that they're aware it's a problem, if not that it will be addressed in an update, OR that there's a workaround. Anything.

suzyblue24

I think I'm having a similar issue. I'm trying to display a youtube video. I add it as a browser source and the music of the video plays fine. However, the animation of the video completely freezes about 3 seconds into the video playing. I too am using a Mac that is updated.

Sang Lee

I have a similar issue. I'm trying to display a youtube video using the browser source. The audio works good but the video play once every few seconds. But Windows OBS works fine in the same situation.

CyberHawks

I also am having issues with video playing in a browser source for OBS on Mac. I use a video feed from a stream elements source to do this. I've tried using plain OBS and OBS.live (the new Mac version). To be honest this has been so frustrating I'm nearly about to give up on OBS.

RedHenMedia

As of version 26.1.2 for Mac OS my browser source video loops are working! Let me know if it is OR is not fixed for you. Thanks to the developers for the latest update!

Ray Hollister

Now that it has been out for a while, how do folks feel that the browser source is working on Mac OS now? I produced a live event recently with OBS ninja, and it was a disaster at first, and it never really got a lot better.

WoozleEffect

Now that it has been out for a while, how do folks feel that the browser source is working on Mac OS now? I produced a live event recently with OBS ninja, and it was a disaster at first, and it never really got a lot better.

Browser sources on my new Mac M1 done work very well for anything apart form static sources.
The frame rate of any video or animated alert is horribly choppy, and the audio is equally choppy. It's essentially unusable.
Doesn't matter if the browser source is a local file, or a streamlabs-style web based alert. The result is the same.