Question / Help OBS on Ubuntu 16.04 not going over 60fps...

animatedbreak

Hi there,

I am currently running OBS 0.16.2 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and I am having a unique scenario. (I think.)

My system is as follows: (It's going to function as my streaming PC)
Intel i7 920 - 2.66ghz
GeForce 210
6 GB of Ram

The issue I'm running into is that on idle, OBS doesn't seem to want to read in at 60fps - it just lingers around 34.87 or so.
I would like to think that this shouldn't be the case, but maybe it could be something in my build or settings? I'm not too sure.

If someone can lend a hand, or needs more information - Let me know!

Appreciated.
-Richard

c3r1c3

Hmm... mid-tier CPU, but that's not the source of your issue.

It's your GPU. It doesn't have proper OpenGL 3.2+ support, so your OS is using your CPU to render stuff, which is bad in every sort of way. Upgrade the GPU to something recent and decent in power.

Also make sure you use the NVidia binary drivers.

Lastly you should always post a log.

animatedbreak

Actually, I want to say thank you to both of you for responding so quickly - So if I am understanding correctly: Although this computer will only be handling the "feed" from my gaming pc, and maybe some twitch alerts - I would still need to upgrade my GPU?

There is also the fact that this is simply on idle. I opened up the program and the FPS on the bottom right hand corner of the screen seems to struggle to maintain 60 Fps - which is strange, because nothing is going on.

c3r1c3

OBS uses your GPU for compositing the various scene elements together (that's part of what gives it such amazing speed). That's why you need one that's decent and supports OpenGL 3.2 (or DX11) or later.