OBS not recording Desktop Audio

formoftherapy

I've been at this for days and I can't quite seem to figure out what the issue. My OBS will NOT record my desktop audio from my screen capture. So when I'm recording the green bar for monitoring the Desktop Audio will move just fine, it can hear it, but it won't RECORD it. It is however recording my mic/aux input just fine and getting my mic.

I've done a lot of googling and tried every suggestion out there and nothing's worked so far. Here's what I've tried so far to save people some time.

-I've made sure it's all recording on the same track (track 1) and made sure the output is the same. I've also tried switching to different tracks.
-I've gone in "Audio" and set the Desktop Audio to "Default" and Desktop Audio 2 which is "Disabled" by default I set that to "Headphones". I've also tried setting Desktop Audio to Headphones, vice versa, etc. This is a popular suggestion from my searches but doesn't work.
-I've switched between the front headphone aux port in the front of the pc and back of the pc.
-I've rebooted and restarted both OBS and my PC many times.
-I've uninstalled and reinstalled OBS (full uninstall). Also tried Streamlabs OBS.
-I've checked volume mixer and my OBS is NOT muted and is at full volume.
-I've tried recording in both MP4 and MOV, and in both x264 and NVENC.

Might be forgetting some other fix attempts but I've tried a lot of them. Now here's the weird thing: When I "test" the audio by recording, I'll record maybe a minute or four minutes. Desktop Audio records TOTALLY fine. I've tested even MULTIPLE times in a row and it comes out fine. So then when I go to make a legit recording, and those videos are 10~15 minutes MINIMUM, then suddenly it won't capture desktop audio again. The desktop audio only doesn't record in my videos that are longer and only work when I'm "testing it out". But after it doesn't record properly, if I test it out immediately, no matter how long or short it doesn't record the desktop audio even if I'm testing. I have to close OBS and reopen for the "test recordings" to work. But then if I film again for real, no dice.

Note: idk if this is useful information but this is a BRAND NEW computer.

If anyone can help I'd be so grateful!

Last edited: