OBS Not Recording Certain Games (Tried many solutions posted online)

NeedOBSHelp

Hi,

I am new to OBS Studio and have attempted to record several games but it does not always work. I have an MSI stealth laptop which uses NVIDIA, and I was able to capture the game MTG arena but could not capture doki doki literature club. I recorded my gameplay for an hour and lost the footage because it recorded as a still screen locked on the title of the game (which i deleted at this point).

Then, I tried again and now it won't record the game at all via game capture independent of the capture mode I select (windowed target or fullscreen). The game shows up black.

I tried to change the processor preferences of OBS and doki to high performance to get it on the same GPU but it did not work.

I tried to run as admin and it did not work.

I tried to restart OBS multiple times and it did not work.

I have made many other sample attempts though, and this is just one i created to post to this forum and hopefully get feedback on.

The same issue occurred yesterday when I tried recording an indie game called a book of beasts and buddies. It would not recognize that game either.

I tried toggling game mode on and off.

I also tried toggling the anti cheat hook on and off.

I also tried toggling my windows computer's gameplay mode on/off and it did not change anything.

----
I made a quick demo log to hopefully gain insight into what's going on.

The log of a demo session is below. In it I quickly tried to record a game doki doki literature club in a selected window (the game was specified in obs as the target window), while the game was in windowed mode. Then I switched OBS to attempt to record in fullscreen mode and set the game to fullscreen.

The game did not capture on either setting.

I believe I was in admin mode during this.

Does anyone have any insight, or advice? Finding a way to reliably record games in OBS studio without having to worry about it not recording or me losing a recording would be extremely helpful.

Thank you for any advice in advance!

NeedOBSHelp

I tried to use window capture in game capture mode and it didn't work. When i switch it over to display capture, I switch the gpu to the lower performance one so it gets captured on the same processor. But when i do, game performance gets tanked and game quality/fps decrease.

So I think I need to figure out a way to make game capture work (either fullscreen or windowed), but unsure how to get it to work for all games and not just some.

Newtype

does the game show up properly in the preview while you are recording? for me, I have to play Genshin Impact in windowed mode and captured with Window Capture in order to be recognized.

NeedOBSHelp

When in fullscreen mode for doki doki it does not show up properly.

When in windowed mode nothing shows up either (unless I'm using display capture which just captures my entire screen). There is no preview in windowed game mode for any game I've tried so far and am unsure why

Newtype

right, so that should have been your initial red flag if you can't even see it in the preview. windowed source only works on stuff in window mode, not full screen. you'll just have to settle for playing certain games in windowed mode as OBS is not recognizing them as game sources