OBS no longer starting on macOS

mjbright

I've been struggling off and on for a month or two with OBS which simply won't start on my Mac.

Environment
I'm currently running OBS obs-studio-29.1.3-macos-arm64, but the problem occurred with several other v28 and v29 releases.
I'm currently running macOS Ventura 13.4.1 on a 2021 MacBookPro M1.
I've reinstalled OBS many times trying to fix/understand the problem.

Symptom - launching from the LaunchPad
The symptom has been that when starting OBS from the LaunchPad, no window opens.
I see the OBS icon in the dock, bobbing up and down.
After several seconds I see "OBS Studio (Not Responding)" in the macOS "Activity Monitor".

NOTE: OBS has both screen recording and accessibility permissions

Launching OBS from command-line (iTerm2)
As no Window is opened I don't know how to send the log file ... BUT I've been experimenting with starting from the command-line (iTerm2).
I'm essentially launching OBS using the command
/Applications/OBS.app/Contents/MacOS/OBS > obs.log 2>&1 &

iTerm2 (w/o screen recording permissions) + launching OBS => Window opens (but no screen record permissions)
Amusingly, I did manage to get the OBS window to open whilst iTerm2 didn't have "Screen Recording" permissions !
I've attached log obs.iTerm2.screenrecord.WithoutPerms.log

iTerm2 (with screen recording permissions) + launching OBS => Window doesn't open
Giving "Screen Recording" permissions to iTerm2 I get the same OBS icon bobbing up and down in the Dock.
I've attached log obs.iTerm2.screenrecord.perms.log

Attachments

• obs.iTerm2.screenrecord.perms.log
    8.1 KB · Views: 117
  • obs.iTerm2.screenrecord.WithoutPerms.log
    9.7 KB · Views: 46

mjbright

No reply - no problem, I was about to open an issue on github but discovered that the problem has sorted itself out somehow :)

RustyPeterson7

I am having this same issue and it has not resolved. I run OBS 29.1.3 (64 bit) on a 2023 Mac Studio running MacOS Ventura 13.5. Mac Studio has M2 Ultra, 64 GB unified memory and 2TB SSD. I am wondering if the Uniifed storage is causing problems because I have the same setup on a 2020 MBP 14" running the M1 Max chip with 32 GB of memory.

On the Mac Studio when I open OBS it will say not responding in the Force Quit screen.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

NinjaPotato

Having the same exact problem, but interestingly it's on my Intel 16" 2019 MacBook..
Has anyone managed to solve it?

I've been having Mac OS issues too with my obs. Do any of you guys use cameras that are the exact same USB name: multiple copies of the same one? I just want to see if your issues are related to my issues. My issue is that when I try to call a camera, OBS just crashes. An OS 13.5.1 it was kind of usable annoying in 13.5.2 it became unworkable. I discussed my situation on a different entry in the OBS project forum. Last time the OBS people told me that there's nothing they could do until Apple has a way to differentiate two different cameras of the same name without relying on the manufacturer to have a way to do it.

bryanhirsch

@tripletopper: Yes! I also have two of the same cameras. OBS has become unusable. I just unplugged one of my cameras and all of the sudden I can start OBS again!

Strangely, after OBS is open and running, when I plug my second camera back in, it seems to work. I only just did this minutes ago. I suspect it will stop working in a bit. But this has gotten me unstuck. Thanks!

enocmt01

Im having the same issue, can't launch OBS (sometimes I can, when deleting and re installing, but then a few moments later can't open it again). I hadn't this issue before, I notice it started (literally) the moment I make an ssd backup of an old MacBook (2011) using my now main MacBook (backup to another drive, through this Mac). I mess around with some "permissions" of folders of that old ssd, and I just copied everything (including apps - I realized there was an old OBS app). I was running OBS (while doing the transfer, because I was testing some ideas), and when I unplugged the drive where was receiving the backup, I couldn't launch OBS again. And I don't know, I deleted some of those files in the backup and deleted OBS and installed it again, and kinda work, but Im just having the same issues again and again.

CoachKidd

*Temporary Fix* ... I'm having the same issue. My workaround is to install OBS-Studio-30.0.2-macOS-Apple.dmg and reboot so the virtual camera works.

I've found that any release after 30.0.2 doesn't work for me on my setup:
  • Mac Mini, Apple M2 Pro, 32Gb
  • Sequoia 15.0 (although the above was true for OX 14x too)
I keep a copy of the above installer file safe if I succumb to temptation and accidentally instal the latest version of OBS.

I hope this helps someone else.