Question / Help OBS MP Nvidia NVENC Settings

Hi All,

So i've updated now to WIn10 to enable the option for Nvidia NVENC and wanted to know what settings to use? I've currently got them at whats listed below but I want the best quality local recording so if there anything here that can improve this?

1920x1080
60fps
Profile = high
Keyframes = 2
Rate Control = CQP
QP I frame = 26
QP P = 26
QP B = 26
Low Latency = Tick
Consecutive B frame = 2
Min QP = 2
Max QP = 20

Cheers

Bob

Attachments

• 2015-11-30 12-58-37.txt
    16.8 KB · Views: 348

xylotism

Bob,

I'm using very similar settings except using 22 for QPI, QPP, QPB. It's a little bit higher quality (lower is better). It does make your file sizes bigger though -- My settings costs about 11GB/hour in disk space for recording (with two audio streams at 320).

I tried to go lower than 22 but I started getting hiccups in certain games -- there's definitely some performance hit on the Win10 OBSMP version of Nvenc vs. the Win7 OBS-regular I was using before, that could seemingly record at any quality level without even a hint of lag/stutter/hiccups.

For an example of the performance increase, you can see it in my youtube video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzL6jYPeATs

Kwadima

Bob,

I'm using very similar settings except using 22 for QPI, QPP, QPB. It's a little bit higher quality (lower is better). It does make your file sizes bigger though -- My settings costs about 11GB/hour in disk space for recording (with two audio streams at 320).

I tried to go lower than 22 but I started getting hiccups in certain games -- there's definitely some performance hit on the Win10 OBSMP version of Nvenc vs. the Win7 OBS-regular I was using before, that could seemingly record at any quality level without even a hint of lag/stutter/hiccups.

For an example of the performance increase, you can see it in my youtube video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzL6jYPeATs

Hey Xylotism,

Are you writing to the same drive that you are reading from? I am experiencing some stutter and i'm starting to think that might be the reason. I'm new at this business, playing around with the settings and testing so any handy tips are appreciated!

xylotism

Hey Xylotism,

Are you writing to the same drive that you are reading from? I am experiencing some stutter and i'm starting to think that might be the reason. I'm new at this business, playing around with the settings and testing so any handy tips are appreciated!

No, I have a separate drive for recording, I only use it for OBS recordings and the finished videos after editing in Adobe Premiere. I also have separate drives for my OS and games. If you can separate them that might help your performance, but I can't say if that's the main issue.

Divayth

Hi All,
1920x1080
60fps
Profile = high
Keyframes = 2
Rate Control = CQP
QP I frame = 26
QP P = 26
QP B = 26
Low Latency = Tick
Consecutive B frame = 2
Min QP = 2
Max QP = 20
Bob

The main quality options are the QP values. Lower QP is always better quality than higher QP but the lower you get the more diminishing returns you get in terms of quality and the more files size will increase.
So in theory if you wanted the highest possible quality you would set them all to 0 but in practice this is very unlikely what you want.
Which value is truly best for you is hard to say. Some websites say a QP below 10 is never required. I suggest you try for yourself and see what differences the numbers make in terms of your perceptive quality and file size while not going below 10. Leave min and max qp at 1 and 51 and change I,P,B QP in unison to different values.

Low Latency should be unchecked because this is a local recording and you do not care about the latency.
Keyframe Interval and Consecutive B frame count should not affect quality but just change how efficient encoding is. I would leave Keyframe Interval at its default and set consecutive b frame count to 16.

Thanks guys so far, I've amended my settings to

1920x1080
60fps
Profile = high
Keyframes = 2
Rate Control = CQP
QP I frame = 20
QP P = 20
QP B = 20
Low Latency = Uncheck
Consecutive B frame = 2
Min QP = 2
Max QP = 20

What i'm noticing is and it was there before is screen tearing, i'm using Nvidia NVENC to encode,.

c0nsecro

Hey guys, one question: Do you use any kind of Adobe Premiere CC ( like me the version 2015 v9 or smth.)? Because I'm using CBR for my records like in the Classic OBS version before, but got that problem. Now I see, that you use, CQP, so if you use Adobe, you got the same problem like me or are the bitrate and audio synch fine?

propzors

Please someone, can you explain what QP stands for? I cannot find it. Where it is? Help.
QP I frame = 20
QP P = 20
QP B = 20
Low Latency = Uncheck
Consecutive B frame = 2
Min QP = 2
Max QP = 20

where all those settings?

propzors

After 3-4 days of experimenting with new and old OBS. I tried specs from this topik, and they seems to be best for me.
Best result achieved with:
Profile = high
Keyframes = 2
Rate Control = CQP
QP I frame = 20
QP P = 20
QP B = 20
Low Latency = Uncheck
Consecutive B frame = 2
Min QP = 2
Max QP = 20

My system:
AMD phenom 2 x4 965
Nvidia 650 ti boost
8 gb ram 1600
Windows 10 home.

And i like OBS MP (new) more then classic one, I can use x264 encoder and get some video recording. In old OSB i never achieved that, it was freezing all the time. And i had to use Nvidia NVENC in order to make any video, and it was bad quality all the time. With OBS MP i have better results every were.
Only thing I can't find right now is Gamma control, I have too much of a brightness on video record. how to fix that?

propzors

Today I installed Nvidia ShadowPlay. And as I understand OBS in NVENC mod should do the same thing. I tested ShadowPlay and got good results. I was recording Dota 2 on max settings, 1920x1200. 60 fps and ShadowPlay on High quality.
So, now I know that my PC can make good quality game videos, without lags and freezing in game and video.
And question is, how can I get the same result using OBS MP (or just OBS) with Nvidia VNEVC?

c0nsecro

Well, as you can read here, OBS-MP got actually problems on working with NVENC. I need to stop the record every 30mins, so that the audio get's synch every time. If you use shadowplay from NVIDIA, you got the problem, that it records with VBR, so you got problems with audio synch again, if you edit it in programs like Adobe Premiere.

DEDRICK

Today I installed Nvidia ShadowPlay. And as I understand OBS in NVENC mod should do the same thing. I tested ShadowPlay and got good results. I was recording Dota 2 on max settings, 1920x1200. 60 fps and ShadowPlay on High quality.
So, now I know that my PC can make good quality game videos, without lags and freezing in game and video.
And question is, how can I get the same result using OBS MP (or just OBS) with Nvidia VNEVC?

Download MediaInfo and pull up the properties of your ShadowPlay recording, It should give you what H.264 settings ShadowPlay used

If you have MPC-HC, MediaInfo is built in so there is no need to download it.

To answer your question above that about QP. QP is quantizer parameter, it relates to compression. The lower the QP, the lower the compression done to the frame, higher bitrate is used.

QPI means I-Frame (Keyframe), these should be the least compressed frame in your video stream, they are full picture frames, they are what hold video streams together. If you lose an I-frame the stream becomes corrupt until the next I-Frame. This is also why you can't pause .264 video properly and you can only seek between keyframes

QPB means B-Frame, these are a bidirectional frame used for motion estimation, they require the least amount of bits because they can reference forwards and backwards for info, thus higher compression can be used.

QPP of course is P-Frame, Predicted Frame, these are the main scene filler between keyframes(I-Frames), they contain the differences between an I-frame, the stuff that changes in a scene, also used for motion estimation.

Together they make what is called a GOP (Group of Pictures). If you have a keyframe Interval of 2 seconds and are recording @ 60fps, your GOP is 120 frames

This is an example of a GOP

cm6PFQC.png

Personally I wouldn't use Constant QP(CQP) because it is inefficient and not "smart" with its bits. It compresses every frame the same, whether or not it needs more or less bits

Last edited:

VanDuits

Well, as you can read here, OBS-MP got actually problems on working with NVENC. I need to stop the record every 30mins, so that the audio get's synch every time. If you use shadowplay from NVIDIA, you got the problem, that it records with VBR, so you got problems with audio synch again, if you edit it in programs like Adobe Premiere.
That´s not true . VBR is not the problem for desync. It´s VFR(variable framerate). I´m using variable bitrate and constant framerate and have no desync when recording 2,3 or 4 hours.

c0nsecro

That´s not true . VBR is not the problem for desync. It´s VFR(variable framerate). I´m using variable bitrate and constant framerate and have no desync when recording 2,3 or 4 hours.

Well, then tell me, where do you edit this settings, because I can only switch between different rate controls ...

Attachments

• rate.jpg
    rate.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 277

VanDuits

you can change constant/variable framerate if using x264 only.
with nvenc you always go with constant framerate and it´s good. (not like shadowplay which uses variable framerate).
these are my settings:

1.PNG 2.PNG 3.PNG 4.PNG 5.PNG

c0nsecro

you can change constant/variable framerate if using x264 only.
with nvenc you always go with constant framerate and it´s good. (not like shadowplay which uses variable framerate).
these are my settings:

Well, if I use VBR, then Adobe Premiere turns wild with asynchron audio/video. How do you know, that NVENC allways use constant framerate?

VanDuits

How do you know, that NVENC allways use constant framerate?

I thought so, because Mediainfo said it´s CFR.
But now I tested something. Using x264 with ticked box to enable VFR and Mediainfo said it´s CFR too. I don´t know what´s right or wrong now.
I know Adobe Premiere has many problems with VFR (from reading, i personally use Sony Software)
It´s possible OBSmp is using NVENC with VFR too. Like Shadowplay. And it´s just saying it would be CFR, i don´t know.