Bug Report OBS MP game capture causes stuttering and low fps

Saturn2888

While playing Pulsen (http://pulsengame.com), the game is stuttering every few seconds while OBS MP is running. This does not happen when using OBS or when recording or streaming it in OBS. I tried switching between OpenGL and DX11 rendering in OBS MP and found OpenGL is a lot slower than DX11, but neither solves the problem.

It looks like the framerate goes up suddenly and then started dropping randomly again. It may be my recording settings; who knows.

NOTE: I do not have this issue in OBS.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
You need to include a log file from an actual session where you played the game with it. I can't really make any reading on what may be going on otherwise.

And also don't use OpenGL on windows if you're using game capture, the high-speed advanced capture features are only available with Direct3D 11, which is the reason for your slowdown when you tried it.

Saturn2888

Of course today it's not having issues now except for one small hiccup :/. I'll get another log of when it happens.
I found an older log file with some funky stuff in it. Dunno if it's got goodies or not. I'm assuming you have a log limit and remove older ones past a certain point as I'm unable to find anything old enough to contain yesterday's play session.

Attachments

• 2015-05-22 04-51-41.txt
    8.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 2015-05-21 02-34-22.txt
    7 KB · Views: 24

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
1440p 60fps -- probably not going to be able to handle that. Somehow I think that you probably don't have the same settings in the original version of OBS if you said it's running fine there, because even on your computer 1080p 60fps+ is going to lag things up. I really think it's a matter of settings in this case. You should probably be downscaling at the very least.

Saturn2888

I have multiple settings in OBS. I was doing 3440x1440p60 @ 100Kbps no problem before as a test. For games, in the original OBS; in fact, here's a log of me playing the same game w/ 2560x1440p60 @ 50Kbps.

What about my hardware makes you think it can't do 1080p60?

Attachments

• 2015-05-24-2240-38.log
    10.3 KB · Views: 18

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Well the difference between the two is the old version you were using ultrafast preset, and in the new version veryfast, so it's unsurprising that there was a difference between them.

Typically for 1080p60 on the same computer it's not easy, though ultrafast would make it a bit more feasible.

I would also recommend just settings your buffer size to 0, and then relying solely on the CRF for your quality factor rather than bitrate.

Saturn2888

Didn't see the different in ultrafast and veryfast there. Good catch.

Just to make sure, you're saying check the "Custom Buffer Size" box and then uncheck "Use CBR" and select a CRF which looks best?

What about the bitrate? Leave it at 5000 in this case? Change it to 50000 like the old OBS? Does it even matter if Use CBR is off?

Lastly, doesn't YouTube require CBR to be checked here?

TESTING: So far w/ OBS MP set to 2560x1440p60, 16000bps, CRF20, and ultrafast on high, the game is running at 60fps w/ v-sync enabled.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
You do not have to manually set CBR/etc in your settings. All service-specific settings are automatically set and overridde your existing settings unless you disable the service-specific setting enforcement in advanced output.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I'm pretty sure that's not for streaming, but for when uploading files to youtube.