OBS MP Crashes Entire Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y30

All was fine until a few days ago where whenever I try to stream, OBS Multiplatform would freeze and then crash my whole computer entirely not even 10 seconds into streaming. I don't have the best specs, (basically this: http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-F555LA-AS51-Core-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00T7XTIXQ) so I don't stream anything graphic intensive but even so, it still crashes and freeze everything. Any possible solutions other than spending a lot of money into getting an Nvidia GPU and/or getting a gaming laptop/computer?? Do I need to update drivers or would upgrading from windows 8.1 to 10 do anything either?

Y30

I literally can't post any of those mentioned because i'm forced to restart my computer everything this happens

dping

I literally can't post any of those mentioned because i'm forced to restart my computer everything this happens
you should be able to post a previous logfile. it sounds like a heat issue to me.

giphy.gif

That log doesn't help as it doesn't show any kind of failure. Can you explain a little more clearly what happens when you get the problem. I am assuming that your whole PC freezes is that correct? What happens after that do you get a Blue Screen error or do you have to hard restart using the power button.

Are there any files in this directory:

C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\obs-studio\crashes.

A hard freeze like this is quite difficult to troubleshoot but it's most likely caused by a driver of some kind, OBS interacts with all kinds of drivers. Check video and webcam drivers as a priority but also things like your chipset drivers and soundcard.

Checking your drivers are up to date is quite tricky, best thing to do is to go to the manufacturers web site and see what drivers are available to download and use those.

Just so you know OBS on it's own is not causing the hard freeze, Windows is designed so that individual applications, no matter how complex are not allowed to bring the complete system to it's knees. This is where the drivers come into play because they are able to break a system because of how Windows runs them.

Y30

do you know if updating from windows 8.1 to 10 will do anything? Whenever I go to the windows update section in the control panel, it's the only option they give me.

There's no way to tell honestly at the moment there's no guarantee that it's even a software problem.

Can you run msinfo32 (Right click start, Run, msinfo32.exe) and save the report and upload it somewhere so I can take a look?

I would start by upgrading your video drivers, go to the ASUS web site and search for your laptop model and you should find a driver version V10.18.14.4062.01. Nothing much else jumps out at me at the moment.

dping

Don't use non-vendor sites for driver instals if at all possible.

A few questions::

Does the original OBS work?

Do you have any utilities installed as game aides such as MSI afterburner, overwolf, FRAPS, etc? To clarify, anything that would place an on-screen overlay on your game or anything that would record software?

I notice that your logs are crashing in different places. Are you able to record after a fresh power on for longer than if the laptop has been on for a while? Do any other programs, games, applications crash your PC? If so, your laptop is overheating. possibly because of a dead or clogged fan or near the radiators and the fan.

Y30

Don't use non-vendor sites for driver instals if at all possible.

A few questions::

Does the original OBS work?

Do you have any utilities installed as game aides such as MSI afterburner, overwolf, FRAPS, etc? To clarify, anything that would place an on-screen overlay on your game or anything that would record software?

I notice that your logs are crashing in different places. Are you able to record after a fresh power on for longer than if the laptop has been on for a while? Do any other programs, games, applications crash your PC? If so, your laptop is overheating. possibly because of a dead or clogged fan or near the radiators and the fan.

1) I haven't tried the original OBS but I guess it's worth a shot? I don't use it because the gamecapture functionality doesn't work as well unless i have a gpu of some sorts.

2) As for utilities, the only thing that would put an onscreen overlay would be xsplit gamecapture but i only use that for games that OBS MP gamecapture wouldn't pick up.

3) Even after a fresh power on, OBS MP still freezes my entire computer not even 5 seconds into starting a stream.

4) It doesn't happen often but sometimes when I have a game on, my screen flickers a bit before putting it to sleep automatically but pressing the power button puts me back where i left off.

dping

1) I haven't tried the original OBS but I guess it's worth a shot? I don't use it because the gamecapture functionality doesn't work as well unless i have a gpu of some sorts.

2) As for utilities, the only thing that would put an onscreen overlay would be xsplit gamecapture but i only use that for games that OBS MP gamecapture wouldn't pick up.

3) Even after a fresh power on, OBS MP still freezes my entire computer not even 5 seconds into starting a stream.

4) It doesn't happen often but sometimes when I have a game on, my screen flickers a bit before putting it to sleep automatically but pressing the power button puts me back where i left off.
get a program called HWmonitor and see what is up with your temps. have it monitor for 5 minutes of idling then start OBS up and attempt to record.

Y30

Tried the original OBS but that ended up having a similar result as the Multiplatform. The only difference was that I was still able to move my mouse but everything else was pretty much frozen.
Also here is the report from HWMonitor https://gist.github.com/anonymous/5aab1a9c9eb09235082a

Might just end up using xsplit because OBS is being really obnoxious or my computer just hates it for whatever reason and Xsplit for some reason works and doesn't freeze my computer.

dping

Tried the original OBS but that ended up having a similar result as the Multiplatform. The only difference was that I was still able to move my mouse but everything else was pretty much frozen.
Also here is the report from HWMonitor https://gist.github.com/anonymous/5aab1a9c9eb09235082a

Might just end up using xsplit because OBS is being really obnoxious or my computer just hates it for whatever reason and Xsplit for some reason works and doesn't freeze my computer.
at least the hw monitor verified that your fan is running and that idle temps are around 45c which is about right for a laptop.

aside from that, if xsplit it working then your issue is not temps (more than likely). make sure you do not run xsplit and OBS at the same time. other than that I am not sure what is crashing.

It might be crashing due to the same reason OBS doesn't work due to not having a dedicated GPU but this would be the first of your CPU that I have seen if this.

you can try to run OBS MP with the multiGPU switch in the game capture. this will use legacy mode of capturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.