Question / Help OBS MP 0.12.2 - cant always find battlefield bf4 to capture

Hi everyone,
Just got BF4 (yeah I know... it's not exactly a new title...) and got it working almost perfectly with OBS-MP 0.12.2, even with SLI. At anywhere from 130-200fps the game runs fine and I'm not really seeing any stutters etc. with OBS-MP like I have with H1Z1.

Getting it working was a little weird, though. I'm running the game in Borderless Windowed mode and using Game Capture in OBS-MP (on Windows 7 SP1). Oddly, OBS-MP is not finding the running BF4.EXE, or at least not showing it in the list of running programs or windows.

In experimenting to get it initially working, the only way I could seem to get OBS-MP to find it is to turn on the checkbox that enables capturing ANY fullscreen application. It also appears to require the Anti-cheat Compatibility Mode checkbox be turned on in Game Capture. FWIW I also had to turn on the Third Party Overlay checkbox on to catch the MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner Stats Server OSD output (although this is kinda separate from the game itself). Finally, it seems like I had to hover the mouse back over the window the game was running in (ie, move mouse away from OBS) while I was setting up the scene in OBS-MP for for it to "see" the game's output and put a preview of it in the add Game Capture source dialog menu.

Once I did that, it ran fine and I got about a 25-30 minute run encoded and transcoded through my "transcoder rig". It was basically a test run on "the range" practice map.

Anywho, shortly after playing that test run and watching it, an update to the game came out, and I let it apply it. Not sure how related that is, but since then, I'm having a hard time getting OBS to "find" BF4's output again. I did the practice range again, as well as 1-2 public servers - I did get it to "find" / "acquire" the game once, but at some point along the way it stopped seeing the video capture from it and was missing from the rest of the stream.

Has anybody else seen anything like this with BF4 with OBS-MP? I'm brand-n00b to the game so not sure what to think of it - but it almost seems like the running bf4.exe is "hidden" from OBS-MP or something (why doesn't it show up in the list of running windows/programs)?

I was able to switch BF4 to running in a window, and that did make it show up in the list of windows, but OBS-MP still couldn't capture it. Is this a punkbuster thing or something else interfering with hooking?

Thanks

PS: i did see a lot of the older posts/topics about BF4 here (hey wassup Bensam123 - love your stream dude!) - but they don't really look to be about the same kinds of issues.

Hi Harold, thanks for the reply. Hmm. I did think about that briefly earlier. I'll try it.

Would be a hoot if the whole problem was, OBS-MP isn't getting "access" to the panel

That wasn't it. OBS-MP is running as the same user the game and other importants parts of the equation are. But I did right-click and run it as administrator just to see if it would help.

The game seems to be hard to much of anything with, really. Keep getting stuck in "transitioning" waiting to get the game to start or go into a server.

Lot of folks out there fussing about that, apparently it is a connectivity problem of some kind with "the mother ship".

Glad I got this on sale....

Harold

Running OBS As admin manually elevates its access. If the game is elevated and OBS isn't, OBS can't see it.

I understand the privileges, etc.

Not 100% sure yet but so far, the times I've actually been able to get into a server (vs. running into some more "transitioning" status), capture is working since I "re-disabled" the origin in-game features (like steam overlay, I guess).

I believe I may have re-enabled that while messing around with the update that came in earlier. Anyway, it's back off now and will probably stay that way.

After that settles out a bit, I'll try running OBS-MP without Administrator rights again and see if it "breaks" again.

Thanks

Hello here is your fix! Have a Window Capture ready in your Scene, and once you finish loading up into the server all you have to do is your go to your video settings and set it from borderless to window and hit ok and OBS will detect it and do YOU DO HAVE TO HIT SAVE SETTINGS JUST HIT NO OR HIT ESCAPE AFTER THAT WINDOW AND YOU ARE GOOD, I'M SORRY.

Last edited: