Question / Help OBS Local Recording w/ Emulators VERY BAD

jacmic22

Hello readers. I've decided to register an account here on the OBS forums and request some help, it'll be *highly* appreciated if I get the answer I seek, a solution to my problem. So I've been trying to record some FB Alpha/FightCade on OBS and my quality is crappppp and I'm not sure why. I've looked as best as I can for a solution with no solution. I can go into details if someone replies.

Last edited:

jacmic22

So I've tried the Lossless Quality preset, and I can say I am satisfied with my quality now, it is presentable :), however , my preview quality and my emulator quality is still better than my actual recording , is there any reasoning behind this??

kaloc

If you followed the guide posted above, the only other thing that would be different from the source would be color ( Chroma subsampling )
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling

You may change that under Advanced > Video
  • Video Color Format: I444
  • YUV Color Space: 709
  • YUV Color Range: Full
** Warning : Formats other than 4:2:0 will not work with current streaming serivces !! **

The color should now be identical to what you see with the source. You will need a quality video player to display 4:4:4 video properly ( no Windows media player garbage ). Try VLC or MPC-HC, ect

jacmic22

If you followed the guide posted above, the only other thing that would be different from the source would be color ( Chroma subsampling )

** Warning : Formats other than 4:2:0 will not work with current streaming serivces !! **

The color should now be identical to what you see with the source. You will need a quality video player to display 4:4:4 video properly ( no Windows media player garbage ). Try VLC or MPC-HC, ect
Alright, I appreciate your reply, thanks man!

jacmic22

So I attempted your suggestion along with the Lossless Quality preset, and I get good quality but the video is very buggy...

jacmic22

describe what "buggy" means
The video is very glitchy, like I played my recording on VLC and it would only play a couple of frames even though the recording was about 1 minute, it just cut a lot of frames and it was very slow (visually)

Blink

Ok so I am assuming you don't mean buggy/glitchy as in visual artifacts - you just mean frame stuttering / pauses in the video. (does the sound keep playing fine?)

sounds like it might be dropping frames or something.If its still on lossless quality and you increased to a higher resolution colorspace (i444 / RGB) that might explain it. It may be too much for your PC to handle recording depending on the resolution and how you are capturing it.

jacmic22

Ok so I am assuming you don't mean buggy/glitchy as in visual artifacts - you just mean frame stuttering / pauses in the video. (does the sound keep playing fine?)

sounds like it might be dropping frames or something.If its still on lossless quality and you increased to a higher resolution colorspace (i444 / RGB) that might explain it. It may be too much for your PC to handle recording depending on the resolution and how you are capturing it.
Alright thank you for that response. Yea sound plays normally but the video just drops frames and spazzes out.

Blink

Keep your colorspace the same (since I assume you want good color) but try lowering the rendering output from lossless to high quality, and see if that improves anything for you. The picture quality should still be good I would think.