OBS local broadcast to phones

Kramon53

Hi all,

I would like to simultaneously (1) stream OBS to Facebook Live (or similar) and (2) stream OBS video over a local wireless network to smartphones with low latency. I have an ethernet connection between my laptop running OBS and a wireless router, and the phones are connected to the router via wifi.

Is this possible? If so, what is the best method to use? Thanks.

qhobbes

See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJaz59ZHgCo

Then you'll need to add Nginx in your firewall settings. Then install a RTMP client such as VLC on the phones and go the internal IP of the OBS PC on the phones. Example: rtmp://192.168.0.24:1935/stream/test

I was able to get around 3-4 seconds of latency with a 2012 iMac (not sig) wired to provided DSL modem/router and Galaxy 6.

Kramon53

A little more info: Currently I'm using OBS VirtualCam plugin + Zoom to provide the "local" stream, which is giving a few seconds of latency. I was wondering if there was a truly local solution that only transfers data over the local network that could provide <1 s latency.

qhobbes

You can try HLS streaming using a local web server. Wikipedia mentions a low latency extension but I don't know if OBS supports this. I believe Mixer's Faster Than Light protocol used something like this (I was able to get 1 second latency) so it's certainly doable. I can't help at all with this.