OBS launches into bus error

Yitzack

I'm running Debian 12 on a AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X and NVIDIA GTX 1650. I get the following messages when launching in bash with the verbose option:

debug: Found portal inhibitor
debug: Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en-US.ini
debug: Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en-US.ini
debug: Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale.ini
debug: Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/locale.ini
debug: Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Yami.qss
debug: Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Yami.qss
info: Command Line Arguments: --verbose
info: Using EGL/X11
info: CPU Name: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X 12-Core Processor
info: CPU Speed: 3692.453MHz
info: Physical Cores: 12, Logical Cores: 24
info: Physical Memory: 64152MB Total, 46868MB Free
info: Kernel Version: Linux 6.1.0-20-amd64
info: Distribution: "Debian GNU/Linux" "12"
info: Session Type: x11
info: Window System: X11.0, Vendor: The X.Org Foundation, Version: 1.21.1
debug: found alternate keycode 62 for OBS_KEY_SHIFT which already has keycode 50
debug: found alternate keycode 105 for OBS_KEY_CONTROL which already has keycode 37
debug: found alternate keycode 108 for OBS_KEY_ALT which already has keycode 64
debug: found alternate keycode 129 for OBS_KEY_NUMPERIOD which already has keycode 91
debug: found alternate keycode 190 for OBS_KEY_REDO which already has keycode 137
debug: found alternate keycode 208 for OBS_KEY_VK_MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE which already has keycode 172
debug: found alternate keycode 215 for OBS_KEY_VK_MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE which already has keycode 172
debug: found alternate keycode 218 for OBS_KEY_PRINT which already has keycode 107
debug: found alternate keycode 231 for OBS_KEY_CANCEL which already has keycode 136
info: Qt Version: 5.15.8 (runtime), 5.15.8 (compiled)
info: Portable mode: false
debug: Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Dark/no_sources.svg
debug: Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Dark/no_sources.svg
QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_tbar_position_valueChanged(int)
info: OBS 29.0.2.1-1+b1 (linux)
info: ---------------------------------
info: audio settings reset:
samples per sec: 48000
speakers: 2
max buffering: 960 milliseconds
buffering type: dynamically increasing
info: Initializing OpenGL...
debug: Created EGLDisplay 0x55d18cd91860
info: Loading up OpenGL on adapter NVIDIA Corporation NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650/PCIe/SSE2
info: OpenGL loaded successfully, version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 545.23.08, shading language 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
info: video settings reset:
base resolution: 1600x900
output resolution: 1280x720
downscale filter: Bicubic
fps: 30/1
format: NV12
YUV mode: Rec. 709/Partial
info: NV12 texture support not available
info: P010 texture support not available
info: Audio monitoring device:
name: Default
id: default
debug: ---------------------------------
debug: Loading module: decklink-captions.so
warning: Failed to load 'en-US' text for module: 'decklink-captions.so'
debug: Loading module: decklink-output-ui.so
warning: Failed to load 'en-US' text for module: 'decklink-output-ui.so'
debug: Loading module: decklink.so
libDeckLinkAPI.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
warning: A DeckLink iterator could not be created. The DeckLink drivers may not be installed
warning: Failed to initialize module 'decklink.so'
debug: Loading module: frontend-tools.so
Bus error

I have other working versions. They tell me that missing DeckLink drivers and API are not a problem. All I can tell from this is that it launches into a bus error.Uninstalling v4l2loopback and Zoom (computer crashed the other day while was in use and I thought was connected) do not resolve the issue. Reinstalling using apt (deb), software manager (deb), and flatpak do not resolve the issue. Building from source is next to impossible due to a whole slew of missing dependencies and funny non-compiling code business. I had to trick both CMake and Ninja to get as far as did.

Any clues as to what could cause this would be greatly appreciated.

Yitzack

I have possible further information that may be helpful. The other day, I added a udev rule to give permissions for interacting with an Arduino Uno R3. I created the file /etc/udev/rules.d/99-arduino.rules and added the line
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2341", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0043", MODE="0666"
As this is an alteration of how the bus works, this may have something to do with the problem. I have to got work in 40 minutes, so I presently don't have time to revert and find out. If this is the problem, do you know how to get OBS and an Arduino to play well with each other as I wish to screen capture return values from the device.

Yitzack

I was able to confirm that the udev rule to enable the Arduino Uno had something to with the problem. I removed the rule. OBS ran. I replaced the rule. OBS is still running and the Arduino Uno is also connected. The rule broke it in the first place, but doesn't break it in the second. I have no way to reach a root cause or determine if this is a permanent situation.