OBS Lagging Randomly!

MrSefaaa

OBS is starting to lag for no reason! Before my videos would be 60 fps smooth and high quality, but not it's showing like 1 fps! The weird thing is on the OBS Hud, it shows that the frame rate is recording at 60 fps as well! I don't know why it's so stuttery! Please help! ALSO, I don't know why, but I have to click the 'stop recording' button twice to stop the recording.

qhobbes

1. The version of Windows you are running has a limitation which causes performance issues in hardware accelerated applications (such as games) if multiple monitors with different refresh rates are present. Your system's monitors have 2 different refresh rates, so you are affected by this limitation.

To fix this issue, we recommend updating to the Windows 10 May 2020 Update. Follow these instructions if you're not sure how to update.
2. If you plan on streaming or uploading those recording please be aware that having the YUV Color range set to "Full" will cause playback issues in certain browsers and on various video platforms. Shadows, highlights and color will look off. In OBS, go to "Settings -> Advanced" and set "YUV Color Range" back to "Partial".

MrSefaaa

1. The version of Windows you are running has a limitation which causes performance issues in hardware accelerated applications (such as games) if multiple monitors with different refresh rates are present. Your system's monitors have 2 different refresh rates, so you are affected by this limitation.

To fix this issue, we recommend updating to the Windows 10 May 2020 Update. Follow these instructions if you're not sure how to update.
2. If you plan on streaming or uploading those recording please be aware that having the YUV Color range set to "Full" will cause playback issues in certain browsers and on various video platforms. Shadows, highlights and color will look off. In OBS, go to "Settings -> Advanced" and set "YUV Color Range" back to "Partial".
1. So are you suggesting that the new windows update has caused OBS to record "laggy" gameplay? And that rolling it back to the May 2020 update may fix this?

2. I don't think changing the color range to full affected this since before I had it to "Partial." However, if you suggest that everything will look off, I will change it back to partial.

qhobbes

The version of Windows you are running, 1909, has a limitation which causes performance issues in hardware accelerated applications (such as games, video players and web browsers) if multiple monitors with different refresh rates are present. Your system's monitors have 2 different refresh rates, 144 Hz and 75 Hz, so you are affected by this limitation.

A. Set both your monitors to same refresh rate
B. Disconnect one of your monitors
C. Update to Windows 10 2004.

rdbecker

MrSefaaa, did 2004 help you? I've been having the same issues as you and finally had the 2004 update available last week. It didn't seem to have any effect at all as my recorded videos still look terrible.

MrSefaaa

MrSefaaa, did 2004 help you? I've been having the same issues as you and finally had the 2004 update available last week. It didn't seem to have any effect at all as my recorded videos still look terrible.
Hey, so for me, simple layout (vs advanced) works fine for me. Also, try switching H264 to H265 or vice versa.

MrSefaaa

Hey, so for me, simple layout (vs advanced) works fine for me. Also, try switching H264 to H265 or vice versa.
Edit: Try using simple mode/layout in the output tab vs advanced. If you DO use the advanced drop down, try to change the codec.