Bug Report OBS lagging for recording and streaming(MAC)

Manoli

Hi! Hopefully someone can get back to me quick. Planing on streaming for a charity event but OBS is very laggy even in the display. I also linking a log to help fix the problem! Thanks in advance for anyone who help! :)

Attachments

• 2014-10-13 10-48-48.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 883
Hey there!

Is it actually lagging during a test stream? I've found that the preview screen of OBS is not always a reliable indication of the fluidity of the stream. Best indicator would likely be the dropped frames on the bottom of the OBS screen when streaming.

Hope that's somewhat helpful!

X-Ployt

Hi! Hopefully someone can get back to me quick. Planing on streaming for a charity event but OBS is very laggy even in the display. I also linking a log to help fix the problem! Thanks in advance for anyone who help! :)

Are you using more upload bandwidth than what you possess? The rule of thumb is to only use 3/4 of your total upload bandwidth to allow fluctuation and in conjunction only using the max recommended upload for 720P being 3500 kb/s.

If you're good on the bandwidth side of things, you may have to use a faster encoding preset. I have an Xeon 8-core 3.2Ghz and I can't go slower than "fast" even though my processor can handle it, which is weird.

Manoli

Are you using more upload bandwidth than what you possess? The rule of thumb is to only use 3/4 of your total upload bandwidth to allow fluctuation and in conjunction only using the max recommended upload for 720P being 3500 kb/s.

If you're good on the bandwidth side of things, you may have to use a faster encoding preset. I have an Xeon 8-core 3.2Ghz and I can't go slower than "fast" even though my processor can handle it, which is weird.

I do have a upload of 3256.0 Kbs/s. I what setting would you recommend for my internet so I can have an steady and high quality stream

Swefex

I am having a problem with OBS lagging too. The game doesn't lag, neither does my Mac in general, but the OBS "preview" screen is lagging as well as my stream. I have set kb/s to 5000 even. I've tried pretty much everything. But it keeps on lagging and still it only takes about 10-15% of my processor. I don't get what the problem is? I am about to try with streaming it in 60fps, which I highly doubt will do anything since I tried 30fps before, which should be fine(?). Ah, well... I will see if I figure this out or I hope that someone who reads this thread will come with a solution! :)

X-Ployt

I do have a upload of 3256.0 Kbs/s. I what setting would you recommend for my internet so I can have an steady and high quality stream

Use no more than 3/4 of your upload, use the fastest encoding preset, and work your way down until it starts giving you issues.

I am having a problem with OBS lagging too. The game doesn't lag, neither does my Mac in general, but the OBS "preview" screen is lagging as well as my stream. I have set kb/s to 5000 even. I've tried pretty much everything. But it keeps on lagging and still it only takes about 10-15% of my processor. I don't get what the problem is? I am about to try with streaming it in 60fps, which I highly doubt will do anything since I tried 30fps before, which should be fine(?). Ah, well... I will see if I figure this out or I hope that someone who reads this thread will come with a solution! :)

Do you even have 5000 kb/s to upload? Throwing a higher value in for your bit rate will not help you if you can't back it up.

Last edited:

Swefex

Use no more than 3/4 of your upload, use the fastest encoding preset, and work your way down until it starts giving you issues.

Do you even have 5000 kb/s to upload? Throwing a higher value in for your bit rate will not help you if you can't back it up.
I have 100/100 fiber, so it should be enough.

Swefex

Seem to be working fine now, though. It has stopped lagging since I downloaded OS X Yosemite. Oh, well... :P

X-Ployt

Seem to be working fine now, though. It has stopped lagging since I downloaded OS X Yosemite. Oh, well... :P

Do you mind telling us what had changed, or what you did differently? I'm curious, because once I get around 65-70% my stream/recording framerate starts to drop. I've been using the iSTAT NANO widget to monitor my CPU, and worse case scenario it will tell me that I have 4-6% of idle CPU but the video will be completely frozen, when I'm pushing a slower encoding preset, like "medium" or "slower".

netahlo

Hey, I was having exactly the same problem. No matter what FPS or bitrate I chose the recorded video was lagging. I have MacBook Pro mid 2012, Intel Core i5 2.5 GHz, Intel HD 4000.
The problem was that I always chose as a source "Window Capture" and then in the list I found the process I wanted to record. This works but lags.

Probably the correct way is to choose "Display Capture" and crop the recorded region to the window I want to record. The difference is that "Display Capture" records not just the specific process but everything displayed in that region on the screen. With this setting I can record smooth 60 fps without any problem!

To proof that it really works here's short (9.4MB) record in 60 fps: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-QY3dT7LkHuc0dHY0VoNEdUdXc/view?usp=sharing (you need to download the video if you want to see it in 60 fps)

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
This is a shortcoming of Window capture, which is not as easy to do on a Mac as it is on Windows. Unfortunately there's not a lot we can do about that, due to it relying on the Mac OS X API.

This is a shortcoming of Window capture, which is not as easy to do on a Mac as it is on Windows. Unfortunately there's not a lot we can do about that, due to it relying on the Mac OS X API.

This was the missing bit of info on how to fix my stream.. Really glad I visited the forums and I now set up my stream to capture the full display instead of the window I wanted to stream.

wizardhenry

its so annoying. Display capture, window capture, everything lags! i usually get a perfect 100 frames which is amazing for a mac but i get 20 or less when recording or streaming. Please help