Question / Help OBS Lag in the application since a windows reinstall.

DNR

I recently had to reinstall windows 10.
Before this i was able to stream with my current hardware for the last 4 weeks at 720p 60 FPS, solid and clean with no or minimal loss of FPS in the stream and NO loss of FPS in game.

Since reinstalling windows 10 (to the same version) updating drivers/software and reinstalled all of my stream stuff again, OBS studio (latest version as of yesterday) i now get OBS losing 40-50 FPS but ONLY when i have a full screen application highlighted, if i move my mouse away to my second monitor OBS goes back to 60fps solid.
My CPU stays below 5% utilized, My GPU is only at about 50-60% load.
I have tried limiting my FPS in game and stream to match at both 60FPS and 30.
I've overclocked my GPU
I have lowered my bitrate and resolution output all to the same result.
I have tried 32 and 64 bit OBS
I've tried SLOBS and get the same issue.
I have tried running in Admin mode.
Manually setting CPU affinity and priority
HDD, Memory and CPU all tested and come back without errors.
Windows Game modes are all turned off.

Now this is where it gets interesting, OBS does this on a blank scene, no capture no display no layouts no webcam, and without me even streaming or recording just idle.
Below are my specs and settings for reference and a couple of log files from OBS

Internet is 85-95 Mbps down and 65+ Up

CPU: Intel I7 X980
Cooler: Corsair H110i
MoBo: Gigabyte UD-7
GFX: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme
12GB RAM

My obs settings are:
- Server: AU Sydney
- Encoder: NVENC H.264
- Enforcing streaming server encoder settings
- Rate control: CBR
- Bitrate: 6000
- Keyframe: 2
- Preset: Default
- Profile: main
- Level: auto

Video Settings:
-Base Resolution: 1920x1080
-Output Resolution: 1280x720
-Downscale Filter: Lanczos
-FPS: 30

Any ideas at all?

Attachments

• 2018-08-01 22-02-29.txt
    13.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 2018-08-01 22-47-56.txt
    12.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 2018-08-01 23-00-41.txt
    5.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Kalan

What was it that could not useobs studio loadlibrary failed with error 998 acesso invalido ao local de memoria

YorVeX

When comparing to my own logs I don't see any big issue that catches my eye. The only thing I notice is that your profiler times (at the end of each log) from the obs_graphics_thread seem to be worse than mine (I got a 1080 Ti too). The "download_frame" indicator is very high in your logs compared to mine.

Here's a line from one of your logs where you tested with 60 FPS:
Code:
23:00:38.836:  ┃ ┃ ┣download_frame: min=0 ms, median=0.08 ms, max=431.018 ms, 99th percentile=35.183 ms

Here's the line from my last stream (also 60 FPS):
Code:
01:22:25.510:  ┃ ┃ ┣download_frame: min=0 ms, median=0.001 ms, max=106.23 ms, 99th percentile=0.31 ms

However, I got no experience reading those logs. I don't know what OBS is doing exactly within "download_frame". Also I am not encoding the stream here but sending it to a streaming PC through NDI so the difference might come from this and your values might be absolutely normal. Maybe someone more experienced interpreting those logs can check this.

Other than that here's some more ideas:
- Try older graphics drivers too, not only the new ones. Maybe before the Windows update you had an older driver that worked better.
- When installing NVIDIA drivers don't install the HDMI audio drivers they come with. If you did this already, use DDU to uninstall everything and then reinstall in custom mode (don't use express mode) which will allow you to deselect installing those drivers. In the past they have often caused trouble for people, e.g. they interfere with other audio drivers.
- Also make sure all of your other audio drivers (e.g. Intel, Realtek, Xonar...) are up-to-date. Basically all drivers can cause poor graphics performance, audio drivers even more than others. So don't just focus only on graphics drivers just because it's a graphics issue.
- Just for testing unplug any non-essential USB devices (including USB hubs) and see if it helps. I have a USB device here that causes graphics lags if I connect it to a certain USB port but works fine if I connect it to another one. Took me a lot of time to figure that out.

DNR

When comparing to my own logs I don't see any big issue that catches my eye. The only thing I notice is that your profiler times (at the end of each log) from the obs_graphics_thread seem to be worse than mine (I got a 1080 Ti too). The "download_frame" indicator is very high in your logs compared to mine.

Code:
23:00:38.836:  ┃ ┃ ┣download_frame: min=0 ms, median=0.08 ms, max=431.018 ms, 99th percentile=35.183 ms

Code:
01:22:25.510:  ┃ ┃ ┣download_frame: min=0 ms, median=0.001 ms, max=106.23 ms, 99th percentile=0.31 ms

However, I got no experience reading those logs. I don't know what OBS is doing exactly within "download_frame". Also I am not encoding the stream here but sending it to a streaming PC through NDI so the difference might come from this and your values might be absolutely normal. Maybe someone more experienced interpreting those logs can check this.

- Try older graphics drivers too, not only the new ones. Maybe before the Windows update you had an older driver that worked better.
- When installing NVIDIA drivers don't install the HDMI audio drivers they come with. If you did this already, use DDU to uninstall everything and then reinstall in custom mode (don't use express mode) which will allow you to deselect installing those drivers. In the past they have often caused trouble for people, e.g. they interfere with other audio drivers.
- Also make sure all of your other audio drivers (e.g. Intel, Realtek, Xonar...) are up-to-date. Basically all drivers can cause poor graphics performance, audio drivers even more than others. So don't just focus only on graphics drivers just because it's a graphics issue.
- Just for testing unplug any non-essential USB devices (including USB hubs) and see if it helps. I have a USB device here that causes graphics lags if I connect it to a certain USB port but works fine if I connect it to another one. Took me a lot of time to figure that out.
Cheers for the reply dude, yeah the logs are all crazy to me, but nothing jumps out as strange.

I've done the older drivers thing, as well as the USB device stuff.
The HDMI audio driver thing is worth a shot, i do vaguely remember having issues with that months ago

DNR

Limit fps in the game.
I'll assume you didn't actually read my troublshooting above but thats fine.

I actually worked it out, turns out that some webcams throttle your USB controllers causing massive GPU spikes, to fix it all i had to do was unplug and replug the webcam.

DNR

Code:

Code:

You were 100% on the right track with the USB devices mate, so thanks.
Apparently logtech cams have a tendency to give weird feedback causing GPU spikes.