OBS is freezing and dropping frames for 12 seconds when rebooting gaming PC.

wspellmann

As described above, I am having a problem where OBS does not like my streaming PC being rebooted as the preview will freeze and the encoder will reliably drop frames for 12 seconds. Frame drops are not an issue otherwise. OBS also stops sending frames over network during the time that the preview is frozen.

This is quite frustrating as one of the big bonuses with dual PC streaming is the ability to reboot the gaming rig without losing the stream.

Attachments

• 2020-07-03 00-54-32.txt
    41.2 KB · Views: 6

carlmmii

Create a new scene collection, just add your capture device to the scene, and see if you still have the same behavior.

If you do, then try using avermedia's software and see if you have the same behavior.

Monitor your system's CPU usage during these periods (task manager, performance tab).

wspellmann

carlmmii, thanks for your response. I tried both of your suggestions.

Using Avermedia's software seemed to not disconnect or have any issues other than when the video signal is reactivated which I think is perfectly normal as my monitors do the same thing when turning them on/off.

OBS still had the same problem with network dropped frames, rendering and encoding frames while only having the PC capture in the scene. CPU usage peaked at 51% during all the action. Network upload almost activity completely disappeared for about 10 seconds.

carlmmii

Ok, so it seems like it is somewhere within OBS. I do see that you have some plugins installed. Could you possibly run a portable instance of OBS and try the first suggestion again, just to eliminate any possible interference?

Just copy the obs-studio folder to another location, create a shortcut to the new obs64.exe, and under the target field for the shortcut, add " --portable" (with a space before the dashes).

As a side question, when is the last time you updated your bios? Ryzen is very much susceptible to needing continual updating, especially as windows updates.

koala

How is your physical setup of your network cabling? If you somehow route your network traffic through the machine you're rebooting, it's no wonder the stream stalls while this machine reboots. I see in your log you're binding OBS to some IP address, so you seem to do something uncommon within your network. Please draw a graphics with your internet router, possible switches and network cards of your machines as well as how they are connected to each other. Include the local IP addresses of the network cards.

It could also help if post a log and tell exactly the time in the log at which the reboot of the other machine occurred, so we can locate possible entries in that log that may correspond to that issue.