Question / Help Obs ingame sound and skype sound

Ivanna

Hey, so I am trying to have obs record skype "when my friend talks" and my ingame sound at the same time. So I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find help. So I am on here.

Thanks!

keybounce

I have not done this in OBS.

What I have done in Camtasia (system audio, plus microphone) is to have skype output to the same output as my game; then, it automatically recorded our conversations.

OBS can record multiple audio sources -- so you could have skype output to a different output device. For example, your game to your headset, skype to built-in speakers. Or rather, both of those go to different soundflower/etc devices that are looped to headset and speaker, both of those loops also picked up by OBS, as well as the mic.

What I do not know: When OBS records multiple audio devices, are they stored as multiple audio tracks, or are they mixed down to one track? (Never tried it).

Since you're on a Mac, you automatically have GarageBand, correct? You could always dump all of your audio sources into GarageBand first, then set GB's output to Soundflower. Then, set OBS's input to receive Soundflower (catching all your audio sources in one). You'd be free to adjust levels in GB as needed.

I do this with Logic for my podcast setup. Works great!

Fladam

How exa
Since you're on a Mac, you automatically have GarageBand, correct? You could always dump all of your audio sources into GarageBand first, then set GB's output to Soundflower. Then, set OBS's input to receive Soundflower (catching all your audio sources in one). You'd be free to adjust levels in GB as needed.

I do this with Logic for my podcast setup. Works great!
How exactly are you doing that because I am using WavTap and I can't hear skype when I set it up like the forum post says to.

In Audio/MIDI Setup, you can create an Aggregate device from WavTap and your Built-In Output. Then set GB's output as Aggregate Device. The audio should send from GB to both WavTap and the Built-in Output (your mac's headphone jack). Then you can leave OBS audio input as WavTap.

Note, I do this using Soundflower, not WavTap, but I would assume it is a similar routing setup.

keybounce

So Garage Band is a real-time audio mixing tool? I've never used it -- I thought it was for manipulating recordings and midi devices.

Fladam

In Audio/MIDI Setup, you can create an Aggregate device from WavTap and your Built-In Output. Then set GB's output as Aggregate Device. The audio should send from GB to both WavTap and the Built-in Output (your mac's headphone jack). Then you can leave OBS audio input as WavTap.

Note, I do this using Soundflower, not WavTap, but I would assume it is a similar routing setup.
But what exactly am I supposed to do in GarageBand to do this? Do I have to have it open while I'm recording? Like how exactly do you do that?

Fladam

Yes I am using soundflower. But obs will only record 1 audio for me.
I figured it out. All you have to do is open "Audio MIDI Setup" then click the + button and then click multi sound device or something like that. Then check the "Built-in Output" and "Soundflower" (I have WavTap so I checked my WavTap box, and I'm just assuming it's the same.) boxes. Then you right click the multi audio device on the left panel and click use as output. Then go into OBS and go to settings>audio>Desktop Audio and set that to Soundflower (Again, I set this to WavTap because I have WavTap). Then go to skype>Preferences>Audio/Video and then set the output to "Same as system"

This will make it so that obs AND you can hear skype and your computer's output to your headphones.

keybounce

Hey, so I am trying to have obs record skype "when my friend talks" and my ingame sound at the same time. So I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find help. So I am on here.

Thanks!

Ok, I have managed this. The solution is to use Jack. Specifically, the "qjackctl" program for routing (oddly, I have to use JackPilot to start jack).

Jack lets you route each program's audio individually -- so skype can output to the stream/recording, and the speakers, at the same time.

So yea, this means that Skype and game can output to speakers and obs; plugin-process (aka twitch playing via flash in a browser) only outputs to speaker (not OBS), and microphone can go to OBS and not speaker.