Bug Report OBS in Virtualbox .... Early Stage Error Report Output

a264164

Hope this information can help for develop linux version of OBS

Computer : AMD FX-8120 Core , 16GB Ram

OBS RUNNING under VirtualBox

Guest OS: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 32bit
Memory : 2GB
Guest Additions: Installed

Install Method : follow the thread "Ubuntu 14.04 PPA Installation Instructions" in this forum

After installed, typing obs
this is the output

===========================================
peter@peter-VirtualBox:~$ obs
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en-US.ini
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en-US.ini
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale.ini
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/locale.ini
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/license/gplv2.txt
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/license/gplv2.txt
libGL error: failed to authenticate magic 4
libGL error: failed to load driver: vboxvideo
info: OBS 0.4.2-102-gab34864 (linux)
info: Processor: 1 logical cores
info: Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor
info: Physical Memory: 2015MB Total
info: Kernel Version: Linux 3.13.0-32-generic
info: Distribution: "Ubuntu" "14.04"
info: audio settings reset:
samples per sec: 44100
speakers: 2
buffering (ms): 1000

info: X and Y: 909 500
Backbuffers: 2
Color Format: 3
ZStencil Format: 0
Adapter: 0

error: ARB_GLX_create_context not supported!
error: device_create (GL) failed
error: Failed to initialize video: Unspecified error
info: Number of memory leaks: 140
peter@peter-VirtualBox:~$
=================

Hope this can help for development

Thanks

paibox

heros in an halfshel
You should not expect to be able to run OBS in a virtual machine, as OBS makes heavy use of graphics acceleration.

paibox

heros in an halfshel
But there's nothing to "raise up". OBS is not intended to run in a virtual machine, and there's nothing to be gained from posting a report about it failing here.

krashhazard

I literally need OBS to work in VirtualBox so this is more important than you are allowing. I need this bug fixed. I run a linux computer, I have a capture card. I have tried both the ElGato and Razer Ripsaw in Linux and have had no success. So i made a windows virtualbox to handle the drivers for these capture devices and i need to use OBS to change the resolutions of these capture cards. OBS wont even start. I dont need it to use my graphics card or adapter. I just need OBS to use the Capture Device.

Harold

Well OBS REQUIRES components of OpenGL 3.2 or DirectX 10.1 at the HARDWARE level in order to be able to function.

If you want a capture card that works on linux, get a blackmagic intensity or decklink.

Elgatos are terrible cards on windows and completely useless outside of their software on other platforms.

There is nothing to fix.

OnkelTem

I'm really disappointed with the inability of this software to run under VirtualBox. This is shame.

I read above about some hardware level which doesn't make at lot of sense really. You just need to stream a video, nothing else. Is that THAT hard? So all this does seem like a great overkill - resorting to some acceleration I mean, which is not needed here.

I should say that I'm not an expert in this area, but Skype works fine and shows its video in my VirtualBox without ANY efforts. Just take this video and send it further!

Harold

You just need to stream a video, nothing else. Is that THAT hard?
It's not as simple as you think. The functions that OBS uses for scene composition do not exist prior to directx 10.1 and opengl 3.2.

You need to do more than just take a basic picture and stream it.

khanali

I at that point started up a Windows 7 VM however OBS won't stack, I get the "Neglected to introduce video: Unspecified blunder". I googled this and the general answer given to this is "your gcard isn't sufficient". I have a r9 390x yet I don't know how vitualbox handles things. In the Windows 10 picture it runs fine so I don't know why it doesn't keep running on windows 7 and Razer drivers as well.

Last edited: