OBS freezing when making videos

jim.hefferon

Hello.

I am recording videos (for posting to YouTube). They get laggy, so that the video gets behind the sound, and then they freeze. When they freeze the whole screen freezes, so I have to wait a few seconds before stopping recording because the entire graphic UI is unresponsive. The behavior is intermittent, so that some days it freezes after a few seconds, and some days 10 minutes, and some days not at all.

Here is my log file.

I have Ubuntu 18, with a 7 core CPU. I am using a Logitech C290 USB web cam and I have a PDF document open under Xournal, which allows me to write over the document using a Wacom Intuos tables. So I think I have a reasonably powerful system, and I think I am asking not too much of it. (I'd greatly appreciate being told that I am wrong, of course.)

I am not an OBS expert by any means but naturally I've viewed lots of videos about this problem and read lots of posts, including to this forum. For what it is worth, among the things I tried that I initally thought made a difference were: changing to 30 fps from 60, changing the C290's video format to BGR3, and under Settings > Output changing the CPU Usage Preset to "faster". But in the end I still get frequent freezing. At the moment it freezes at about 10 minutes.

The CPU usage shows as 10 percent and I have unplugged the network cable (because yesterday was a holiday and I was able to make two half hour videos without problems, so why not?). If anyone has a suggestion or a pointer, I'd be very grateful.

Jim