OBS Freezes during live stream of church service

LukeKincaid

I use OBS Studio to create content and encode our church's worship service. I connect OBS to vimeo and then vimeo simulcasts it out to our website, Facebook, and YouTube. I have a Canon Mark III camera connected to my laptop (via hdmi to capture card to usb) as the primary video source and an ipad connected through the IOS camera plugin (and usb c cable) as the secondary source. About 50 minutes into the livestream OBS froze. I couldn't switch between scenes and the broadcast was interrupted on all sites. I had to close OBS, restart it, and restart the stream. It reconnected correctly, but I am confused by what happened. This is the first time I have had multiple cameras hooked up to my laptop and wonder if that had anything to do with it. Here are the log files from the service. The first one was the initial stream until it froze at about 9:36 and the second one is when I restarted the stream. Any helpful thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2020-07-19 07-23-13.txt
    21.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 2020-07-19 09-39-11.txt
    20.2 KB · Views: 15

Alex_Doss

Hello, I have reviewed your logs and couldn't find any reason that OBS would do that, I did notice that the second log did not show the end of the stream, did you upload it while the stream was running? I have compared it to my logs running the same settings and couldn't recreate the issue nor see any reason for the crash, I believe OBS is a lower priority which doesn't give OBS the resources to work correctly causing it to freeze, I would try running OBS as administrator and see if that helps, if not you can try going to the task manager, then details and find the obs program "obs64.exe" right-click on it and hover over set priority, then set it to above normal or higher (I wouldn't do realtime otherwise windows might have issues.) and see if that helps, if neither work send me a log after trying both and I will see if there is another issue.

LukeKincaid

Hello, I have reviewed your logs and couldn't find any reason that OBS would do that, I did notice that the second log did not show the end of the stream, did you upload it while the stream was running? I have compared it to my logs running the same settings and couldn't recreate the issue nor see any reason for the crash, I believe OBS is a lower priority which doesn't give OBS the resources to work correctly causing it to freeze, I would try running OBS as administrator and see if that helps, if not you can try going to the task manager, then details and find the obs program "obs64.exe" right-click on it and hover over set priority, then set it to above normal or higher (I wouldn't do realtime otherwise windows might have issues.) and see if that helps, if neither work send me a log after trying both and I will see if there is another issue.
Thanks for your quick response. I will try giving OBS higher priority. It felt very weird when it happened. The broadcast interrupted and the preview was frozen on one scene and wouldn’t change when I clicked on other scenes. Would internet divine ruin cause that? Or it made me wonder if something with the hardware I’m using caused the freeze or if the iPad deactivating and reactivating so much cause an issue.

Alex_Doss

Thanks for your quick response. I will try giving OBS higher priority. It felt very weird when it happened. The broadcast interrupted and the preview was frozen on one scene and wouldn’t change when I clicked on other scenes. Would internet divine ruin cause that? Or it made me wonder if something with the hardware I’m using caused the freeze or if the iPad deactivating and reactivating so much cause an issue.

The internet wouldn't cause that issue, it would cause the stream to buffer online,
I don't think the iPad would do that however the constant reconnecting could, I would suggest if possible to try streaming with the iPad on the whole time.
Your hardware seems fine since it seems to be a software issue.

LukeKincaid

The internet wouldn't cause that issue, it would cause the stream to buffer online,
I don't think the iPad would do that however the constant reconnecting could, I would suggest if possible to try streaming with the iPad on the whole time.
Your hardware seems fine since it seems to be a software issue.
Thanks, I’ll try that as well.