OBS Fake

NeroAiur

Hi,

First of all I don't know if this belongs here or not, if not, please move it to where it belongs, but I found it the most fitting.
Secondly, I don't know if you already know about this, but I've only found a single video talking about this and it is grinding my gears.

So I was on work the other day and we were looking for a screen capture programm, that is easy to use and has no limitations... while researching, I've stumbled over "Ultra Screen Recorder". The written text was promising so I downloaded it from the Microsoft Store... And when I opened it, I thought I klicked on OBS. Basically this program is a complete OBS clone with minor changes if at all... Same layout, same setting, it is even using the same config folder as the original OBS. And the cherry on top? When you try to start "Ultra Screen Recorder" while it or OBS is already running it will show the message that "OBS IS ALREADY RUNNING".

The last two years I learned to love OBS more than any other recording software and I always recommend it first, when some application like it is needed... therefore I've kind of getting to love this program and it really annoyes me to see that someone else just basically rips the program, slaps another name on top and probably even makes some money off of it (judging by the fact, that the company of "Ultra Screen Recorder" has other programs, it is likely that at least one person klicked on on of these other products... which is way to much payoff for ripping someone off imo)

Love all of you, keep up the great work!

UbaIsTheName

Sad to read this.
Those people on "Ultra Screen Recorder Company" need a sense of moral on their professional life. OBS is built by volunteers all around the world ( I presume). And if we are using OBS, we owe to the non-paid software developers that did this wonderful program.
I'm wondering if we can report on them, being OBS a free open source software...
Either way, they'll never go big don't worry mate :)

This was discussed a few months ago in the discord.
To quote dodgepong: "as long as they offer the source code and don't infringe trademarks, it's technically legal "
So there is not much the project can do about it.