OBS doesn't capture the bottom 30% of my screen

Stephen Priddle

Folks, I am trying to record video courses using PowerPoint and OBS 25.0.8 only records the top 70% of my screen, that is it misses about two lines of PowerPoint, how do I overcome this?

twindux

Sorry if too basic, but have you tried resizing the frame your Powerpoint is in? My guess is that your PPT is not the same screen ratio as your OBS canvas, right?

1920x1800 is a 1080p canvas, and 1920x1200 is a typical computer monitor...and that seems like about 2 lines?

twindux

sorry so long for the reply.

In OBS, I assume you added a "window capture" source or some such to get Powerpoint into your streamcast. Or you're capturing an entire monitor using "Display Capture".

Below is my OBS preview with a captured Powerpoint window that is a different proportion (On Screen Show 16:10...a typical laptop screen proportion) than my OBS canvas (16:9...typical HD monitor/projector proportions)

Notice at the bottom, there are red handles at the edge of the green outline of my window source. Now scroll down past this to see the solution. There would be a similar issue if the powerpoint were built in a "On Screen Show 4:3"...and even more would be cut off on the bottom. See the zebra stripes on the bottom? that means there's excess image that's not being shown.

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 8.40.23 PM.jpg

I took the bottom handle and resized the window capture frame so it fits inside myOBS canvas/preview window. Below is the result. Everything fits in OBS, and there are black bars at the sides (which can be fixed)

The alternative to this is to build your Powerpoint in view...On Screen Show 16:9 or "widescreen" size.

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 8.40.02 PM.jpg

Let me know if that helps or not. I'll try to check in more frequently.