Question / Help OBS does not see MOTU audio input

titus27

Hi,
I am using OBS studio, and I decided to improve my audio quality from the built-in microphone.
Since I have a Motu Ultralite audio device, I decided to use one of its audio inputs to attach a microphone and use it for some facebook live events. This MOTU device has some years, and it is equipped only with Firewire connection (so I use a Firewire-thunderbolt adapter).
Every software I use except OBS recognizes such audio input (I tried for example some music applications, I tried to record a screen-video with QuickTime.. in all these cases the microphone audio from MOTU worked).
When I use OBS, if I select from the audio setup the Motu Ultralite (it sees it and so I can select it) the audio input does not work anymore. In order to understand better, under "mic/aux" I do not see any red/green bar moving, even if I speak directly in the microphone.
I just tell that I also selected in preferences/sound/input the motu ultralite device, so the problem is not there.

Thank you if you can help me, it would be very nice from you :)

titus27

obviously not.. and given that the creator even do not say "it's a known problem we will solve it someday" I think it's even not in the "to solve" list.. but hey, OBS is free, so we can't ask more :)

katmoda

Hi, I had the same issue. I fixed this by using the Loopback software from Rogue Amoeba - I configured as in the attached screengrab. Hope it helps

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-14 at 09.38.21.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-14 at 09.38.21.png
    442.4 KB · Views: 2,271

Crouchy

This is so SAD. I've been asked to sing via OBS in a festival in the USA. I have 2 mics (voice & guitar) and a MOTU sound card that works fine in Garageband. But I can get no signal in OBS (23.0.1 on my iMac running 10.10.5) even though in the Mixer window I can see exra mic inputs. They are not moving, no signal getting through. So I guess that's the end of that, unless I want to spend the next five days searching for an answer which may not exist. You would think that a musician playing live would be a primary function – live broadcast through a couple (or more) microphones. All I see on these threads is endless complication – download yet other programme, configure it in yet another complicated way. I'm off to do some gardening. Life's TOO SHORT!
OBS mixer shot.png

invisiblearcs

Hi, I had the same issue. I fixed this by using the Loopback software from Rogue Amoeba - I configured as in the attached screengrab. Hope it helps
Hi, I was wondering if you could explain a little more. I downloaded Loopback, and it shows that MOTU is routing to Channels 1&2, but when I select Loopback as an Audio Input in OBS, I am still getting no signal. How did you get it to work? Thank you!

Here's a screenshot of how Loopback looks for me:
Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 3.18.00 PM.png

Mark Weiss

My MOTU 896 used to work fine with OBS. I always had Analog 1-2 set as input on the OBS mixer, but lately, there is no audio on that input now. I don't know if it was a windows update, because I have not used OBS in about a month. I made no changes to the hardware, so Microsoft probably modified my system without my permission as usual. Last night I tried to stream life, but have no audio. To make matters worse, SoundForge can record from MOTO Analog 1-2, and so can Adobe Audition. It's just OBS that is deaf to that device. And yes, OBS is set to 48KHz that the MOTU is set to.
It used to work until this month and something broke.

Mark Weiss

A few days ago, I fixed the problem by re enabling WaveRT for Windows in the MOTU Audio Console. It worked fine for the rest of the day.
But today I started up OBS and it's once again not hearing audio from MOTU input. I checked the console and the WaveRT is still enabled. This is so that OBS, which doesn't communicate with ASIO devices, can use the device in a compatible Windows mode.
I'm disappointed that it stopped working again tonight. I was supposed to be streaming but I can't get audio to work, so I'm troubleshooting again. OBS needs an update to support ASIO so these devices can work reliably. Working on Sunday but not on Tuesday is just no good.

MrWeston

Hello everyone, I too have suffered from the frustration of getting my Motu Ultralight mk5 to work with obs. I'm using the latest firmware and software. Also I'm using windows 10 and Propellerhead Reason 12 for music recording. I've been working my butt off to get audio to pipe into obs so I can live stream a song as I record it live. It seemed hopeless. However 4 hours of trying every setting I could, I found a working solution that appears to work exactly as I wanted but it's a little strang on how windows deals with it.

So I currently have full stereo sound through obs with music and mic working perfectly. This is tricky for windows. You mac users would have to struggle through mac audio which I'm not familiar with but the ideology should be the same. So without further rambling this is exactly how to get it to work.

Do these steps in order as described below.

Using Cuemix 5

Note you must first open Cumix5 and then power on your motu5 for it to open Cuemix takes a second to log the device fyi.

Once opened:
DEVICE TAB - loopback location set it to usb in 9-10
- Enable Windows Audio Stream - check only loopback in 1-2, and mic/line/ in 1-2, and main out 1-2

OUTPUT TAB
- Phones source - select phones 1-2
- Loopback source - select phones 1-2
- Output trims - set all to about -16db

This is where it gets a bit confusing.
There are 6 tabs for Line 1-2, phones 1-2 mix, 3-4 and so on.
Make sure Line 9-10 tab, which is your loop back output, has the (main 1-2) slider set to 100% and to the farthest right of the window is a main gain slider labeled 9-10, it is confusing because it appears there are actually 2 sliders labeled the same line 9-10. So it is the one to the furthest right the DOES NOT say "computer usb" above it and is locked on the window to the right and will not move with the window slider. I know it is stupid. Additionally in this tab you will see the main 1-2 with the label computer usb above it. I know how confusing that shit is but just play some audio while viewing and again these are the only 2 channels where the meter is active so you will know which ones I'm talking about. However until you turn the farthest right 9-10 the meter won't be active this is what had me stumped for so long. Just turn it up and the meter will activate.

Know for windows:
- right click the speaker icon in the bottom right system tray.
- select sounds and click playback tab

- you will see active main out 1-2, line out 9-10, and your default system speaker whatever your onboard sound card is for laptop or desktop. Make sure all 3 are enabled.

- For main out 1-2 select properties and levels tab = 100% advanced tab = 2 channel 44hz you do not need 48 it will not make it sound better and will only add more load to your cpu. Make sure exclusive mode is checked both boxes to allow control. Spatial sound set to off and save with OK.

- Select recording tab. You should see your mic/line/inst in 1-2 enabled and probably default. Make sure all other mics present are right clicked and disabled. Also you should see your loopback in 1-2 that should be enabled.

- right click the mic and then listen tab. Make sure listen to this device is UNCHECKED. If not it may create feedback as it is already being looked back through the motu. However still playback through this device select the line out 9-10. Not sure if this really matters but it is best practice. Levels set to 100% and advanced tab set 44hz and exclusive mode enabled.

- right click loopback 1-2 and under listen tab CHECK the box "listen to this device" Under playback through this device select Line out 9-10 make sure levels are 100% and advanced tab is set to 44hz with exclusive mode enabled as well.

Know for OBS using version 29-beta3
- Add a source for audio output capture name it whatever you want as it is going to be capturing all of your audio loopback from the motu mic and music and whatever else you've got piped into the motu. Make sure you select under device to be the Line 9-10 which is your loopback output.

There you go. That is how you properly loopback all audio from the motu to windows. Then from that point obs is just capturing the proper line out source 9-10.

I also just for safety put a limiter filter on the audio source in obs just to make sure i never clip. But you can skin a cat 10 ways with that one as you like. Hope this helps and saves you from losing hope. It can be done just tricky.

As far a the 44hz. I've been studio recording for over 10 years. Your ear can not tell the difference between 44hz or 192hz. Your ear will not pickup the additional information. Instead this just adds tremendous amount of cpu load and will not allow you to run smaller buffers. For example i run my motu settings at 44100hz and 256 buffer. It sounds as good as any professional studio and I have almost no delay while monitoring while recording with virtually no audio poping or cut out. Running higher hz just makes the processor have to do more processing not make it sound better. But you do what you want. There is lots of information on line about this topic.

Hope this helps you get up and running. There is nothing wrong with motu, obs, or windows. It is just complicated getting your head wrapped around through 3 different stages.