OBS Crashing whenever Scene Collection is changed

HenryCrisp

So, I'm using OBS on an 8gb M1 MacBook Pro, and last week I created some new Scene Collections without issue. I have been experiencing a lot of rendering lag with low CPU usage and hardware decoding enabled, so I wanted to create some scene collections from scratch to see how performance would be impacted. However, suddenly whenever I try to switch to one of those scene collections, OBS crashes every single time.

I checked to see if I have any rogue or unused plugins, and have searched around similar topics on the forums, but cannot seem to find what is causing this particular issue for me. Anyone else experiencing this?

Attachments

• 2021-06-05 12-02-25.txt
    26.9 KB · Views: 7

JohnBBeta

I get this a bit (on an intel MBP) - workaround i found was make sure you're on one of your simpler scenes, or even a dummy scene with nothing in, when you switch to the other scene collection and it usually avoids crashing then.
only plugin i have is advanced scene switcher though.

HenryCrisp

I get this a bit (on an intel MBP) - workaround i found was make sure you're on one of your simpler scenes, or even a dummy scene with nothing in, when you switch to the other scene collection and it usually avoids crashing then.
only plugin i have is advanced scene switcher though.

So, after some testing I was still getting crashing switching from a blank scene to a new scene collection. However, I found the best way to get this work without crashing (so far!) is similar; it is to Create a whole blank scene collection with only one empty scene included to use as an intermediate while switching to another full scene collection, rather than just one blank scene.

So for example, I use OBS for teaching and streaming. I have a scene collection for class, and one for gaming. When I would switch between the two, I would get instant crashes every time, and I thought I would have to start over from scratch. Instead, I do this:

Teacher Scene Collection -> BLANK Scene Collection -> Gaming Stream Scene Collection

Works like a charm so far, no crashes after switching back and forth for this morning's classes. Hope this may help anyone else experiencing this issue