OBS Crashes on using x264

0xdf

Hello,

I've been having an issue with OBS where it's been showing "Encoding overloaded! Consider turning down video settings or using a faster encoding preset. It also often hangs indefinitely when I click Stop Recording, and I lose the recording.

Before giving up on my 1080p 30 FPS, I figured I'd try other encoders. When I started here, the settings were on Hardware. When I switch the x264, and try to record, it just crashes completely (OBS exits).

I think I should be using the software encoder given the low quality/power of my graphics card and the fact that I have a decent processor, but I'm not an expert at these things.

System:
- 64 GB RAM
- AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
- NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 710] (rev a1)
- Ubuntu 22.04

Please let me know what other info I can provide. I've attached a log, though from what I can see, these crashes don't generate any entries in the log.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 2022-08-30 15-43-25.txt
    14.6 KB · Views: 7

Tuna

I don't think the GT 710 has an NVENC? Interestingly enough it seems to do something.. not quite sure why. Maybe this particular model does have something, but it does no seem great.

If OBS crashes there may be a mismatch between x264 version OBS was build with and what is on the system. You didn't state how you installed OBS. I suggest to remove OBS and install it vial one of the official ways as instructed on the homepage.

DjSteveK

Hello,

I've been having an issue with OBS where it's been showing "Encoding overloaded! Consider turning down video settings or using a faster encoding preset. It also often hangs indefinitely when I click Stop Recording, and I lose the recording.

Before giving up on my 1080p 30 FPS, I figured I'd try other encoders. When I started here, the settings were on Hardware. When I switch the x264, and try to record, it just crashes completely (OBS exits).

I think I should be using the software encoder given the low quality/power of my graphics card and the fact that I have a decent processor, but I'm not an expert at these things.

System:
- 64 GB RAM
- AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
- NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 710] (rev a1)
- Ubuntu 22.04

Please let me know what other info I can provide. I've attached a log, though from what I can see, these crashes don't generate any entries in the log.

Thanks in advance!
Try lowering your bitrate.......