OBS Crashes on Mac OS Big Sur

Shmebulock

When I open OBS on Mac OS Big Sur, OBS immediately crashes. Therefore I have been unable to open the application since updating my Mac to OS Big Sur. I have gone through my Library and deleted all my plugins, but this still does not solve my problem. Any ideas?

Here is the crash report from my Mac: https://pastebin.com/z0iLQf0T

anniekrevice

Browser sources don't work atm with Big Sur, you can try deleting your scene folder and start again just not with browser sources.

Instead, I installed Streamlabs OBS and imported my scenes and am using that in the mean time.

盒子里的羊

Browser sources don't work atm with Big Sur, you can try deleting your scene folder and start again just not with browser sources.

Instead, I installed Streamlabs OBS and imported my scenes and am using that in the mean time.
That really helps! Thank you so much!
but btw i still dont know why, cause everything worked well previously with browser sources but suddenly crashed at one day and after, it seems OBS may not crash immediately when using browser sources

jackonaboat

I gave up on the latest version of OBS on Big Sur due to it crashing every time I opened it, and went back to 26.1.0-rc2 (64 bit) and everything works without crashing.

PhilMac

I am having the same issue. Updated to Big Sur and OBS ran fine for a couple of weeks and then this past Sunday, CRASH! Can't use OBS now because it crashes on opening. I have deleted all source files but it still crashes on opening. Any ideas how to resolve this or should I move on to another software?

jackonaboat

I went back to Version 26.1.0 and it opens now. I am about to try updating to latest version with all plugins updated Wish me luch.

jackonaboat

OK, just updated all plugins and updated OBS and, for the first time since updating, it didn't crash on start. I'll keep y'all posted.

PhilMac

I dropped back down to version 26.1.0-rc2 and my machine still crashes. Looks as though I'm done with OBS if they can't fix it.

david_1321

OMG - this OBS software is a total nightmare. I've spent all afternoon trying all the suggestions from Google searches to get it to run but three hours later still a total failure. After starting the app some windows pop up for 1/4 second then the UI totally disappears. The process shows in Mac (Catalina) Activity Monitor but there is no UI. No obvious errors in the logs. As noted in other posts above, the software ran fine for a few weeks then inexplicably now won't run despite no changes to the Mac's configuration in that time. At this time, I've tried about half dozen different remedies from Google searches but still it wont start, and its driving me crazy.
'..I'm done with OBS if they can't fix it.' - I'm a definite +1 on that.

Last edited:

david_1321

Unable to think of what else to try I installed the OBS plugin StreamFX. It prompts to read their privacy but it looks like the OBS UI is running under the dialog. Sadly though, if you click OK the entire UI disappears as usual.

obs.png