Bug Report OBS CPU usage over 200%

LaughingFox

Hey guys,

Since updating to MacOS 10.12.4 I cannot use OBS, for some reason it constantly spikes to 150%-200% Plus of my CPU load in activity monitor and I get major slowdown. Have used OBS for over two years now and never had this issue. Have tried tweaking settings/different capture measures but to no avail. Have read in various other sparodic posts that this seems to be happening to other users too? Is this a known issue? As i didn't see anything in the known issues list.

Pretty frustrating to be honest because i've never had a problem with the software and love using it.

Hope it gets fixed soon.

amihart

224.6% even at 260p/30fps resolution. Definitely not just you.
5pboHmO.png

Narcogen

I think he means it's an issue that OBS' CPU usage from 18.x to 20.x has increased by a large amount. This is the single most common thing I read about the program, either here or on the subreddit-- more CPU usage for doing the same tasks.

amihart

And? That just means it needs 2+ cores, is that an issue?
Wait, you somehow think using 2+ cores 260p/30fps gameplay is okay?
Seriously?
It doesn't even use half a core to do this on my Linux laptop at 768p. So why would this be somehow okay for a Macintosh desktop to use the majority of the CPU for 260p/30fps gameplay? Please explain this to me.

My laptop is running Intel Core i5 and the desktop is running Intel Core i7, so you'd think the desktop would get better performance, but OBS is unusable and slows to a crawl since almost all the CPU is used on OBS. Even trying to stream an N64 game causes severe lag.

Yet, no issue on my Linux laptop. I'm surprised anyone would suggest this is normal behavior.